Another "New build, new to the board"

Gene 0.

Hi guys!  I've been checking out this site for a while, and finally decided to join.  Not sure how much, if anything, I have to ffer, but I can at least show my build(s) and get some input.

Here is my latest build, which isn't quite finished, but the general look is well defined:

WarmothTele1_zpsbdd5464f.jpg

I bought the body from the in-stock gallery.  This is the first Tele I've ever had with the gut cut and forearm contour, and I love 'em!  Tradition be damned!  The neck is a 10-16 with a 59 roundback shape, which feels, and plays great.  The one thing that baffles me a little is the satin nitro finish.  When I received the neck, I contacted Warmoth and told them that they sent me an unfinished neck, but I was assured that it was, in fact, finished.  I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it as is, or gloss it up a bit.

The controls still need to be installed.  The current ones are old crap that came from the proverbial "who knows where", and need to be replaced.  The pot shafts seem to be a tad larger that a standard pot and won't allow the new knobs fit up at all.  Also in question is the need to install a string tee.  All Teles have them, but I'm not sure whether I need one or not.

I think the combination of finish color, accents (pickguard, dots and nut color), and metals, make for a very classy look.

Looks great, and don't worry--what ANY of us "has to offer" is highly questionable!  :icon_biggrin:

I love 500k pots in a Tele, but they can be a little bright when they're on full!

Also, what pickups? That looks great! And I installed a Graphtech string tree just because, but unless you have a buzzing open string (usually the G or B) you might as well leave it off! It's a personal preference and aesthetics thing.

Gene 0. said:
I think the combination of finish color, accents (pickguard, dots and nut color), and metals, make for a very classy look.

I agree. Nice, conservative, classy. Good choices all around.

Don't worry about the string tree(s). Those are for necks with poorly cut nuts. Back when Leo first started large-scale production, they didn't have time to cut/file the nuts as properly/consistently as is needed, so he started installing what came to be called "string trees" to apply greater pressure on the strings to hold them in the slots. With parts from higher quality sources, you don't need them. But, they've become a tradition and people expect them, so Fender still installs them to this day. They even put them on guitars with LSR nuts, which is just silly.

Cagey said:
I agree. Nice, conservative, classy. Good choices all around.

I think the "conservative" look mimics my personality, but I hope to someday venture off into a much more creative build.

The pickups are Bill Lawrence.  I use BL's on a couple Strats and love them, and these Tele pups were sitting around unsed, so I started off with them.  But I'm not sure if I'll stay with them or seek out something more daring.  lol

Tonar, could you elaborate on the benefits of the pots you mentioned.  I guess I'm in the "Singel coils = 250K pots" club (which also equals "I don't know any better").

No buzzing whatsoever, so I'll hold off on the tree for now.  I realize they are pretty much expected, but so are the numbers on Strat control knobs, and how useful are they?  Maybe this will be my chance to "walk on the wild side".  :glasses10:

Classy and eye-catching at the same time. Love the body color/pickguard combination. Nicely done!

The 280K super pots are made with a higher degree of quality control. 250K was the standard but they read plus or minus depending on the batch. They chose 280K to get a little more top end out of the pickups.  They're great pots, with great taper. I have lost count in how many guitar builds I have them in.

That's a pretty nice looking tele, which says something because, as a rule, I do not like teles.

Satin finishes look so much like no-finish that they had to put the red dot on the heel under it to convince people that it really was on there.

Very handsome axe.  Nice job.  I agree the body contours do a lot for the plank-like nature of the Telecaster as originally conceived.  I salute your reserved taste in updating a classic.

Peace

Bagman

On the finish, don't be alarmed, Warmoth's 'satin' finish will actually gloss up quite a bit after a month or so of use. You can't really get truly satin nitro, it will always shine up a little (just as fully glossy nitro will dull a little; nitro always winds up being a semi-gloss finish).

As for the string retainers, it really depends on the tone and feel that you want. It is correct that guitars with straight headstocks don't need retainers, but as most people are used to the slightly tighter feel when bending and the snappier tone of having the steeper break angle over the nut, they are still popular. Allowing the strings to pass through the nut 'straight' gives a softer feel when bending and a slightly dulled tone. It's personal preference what you go with. The only thing you need to ensure is that the strings aren't popping out of the nut slots. Beyond that, anything goes.

Thanks, Leo!  Those are the L280-TN (neck) & L290-TL (bridge).  For the price, I find them hard to beat.  I have used his Strat pups for a lot of years, and love 'em, but I have not used the Tele pups yet.  I bought these a while ago but never got around to installing them.  If they are anything like the Strat pups, I'll be happy!

Back