Another lap steel

ramonet

This is the third lap steel I've made in an Art Deco style. After the success of the first one, I have had two customers that want one. I've not posted the whole process because it's mostly the same that the first one. But here are some pics of the final instrument.

Attachments

• DSCN3158.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCN3153.JPG
    638.5 KB · Views: 459
It's made with african mahogany and the strips are Indian rosewood with maple accents. The fretboard it's made of african ebony with maple fret lines. The control plate it's also made of ebony, the same wood used for the headstock motif. This has a mother of pearl and abalone inlay with the initial letters of the owner's name: X(avi) A(liaga) in a geometric design

Attachments

• DSCN3160.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 431
African mahogany has a pale pinkish colour so I've tinted first in amber, sanded a little and tinted again with a mix of amber and a cherry red mix I've done for a previous project so this colur it's kinda orangy, that give a nice (and natural) touch to the final instrument. It resembles a mix between padauk and sapelli; what do you think?

That is really good work and I appreciate the effort that went into it. I considered making my own lap steel a while back but wound up getting a used Asher Junior, which is a rather nice instrument. Yes, made in China, but I'll cut Asher some slack for outsourcing the Juniors. Good instrument to learn on. Reminds me I need to pick it up and and learn something other than "Amazing Grace" in open D :\

Back