Another day at work ...

ugh, the most hairy part for me watching was at those spikey flowers where he was looking around for someplace to grab on to.  I'm thinking "why don't they build something to make these guys' job easier?"  not to mention safer.  I'm not afraid of heights.  But my stomach is a little flip-floppy watching that.  The thought of being that high with no backup if you slip is a scary thought.

that is without a doubt the craziest thing i've seen in a long long time. forget fisherman and ice road truckers, i'd actually watch this if it were on a channel.

i think i'd take a parachute up with me though. there has to be a better way of getting down than climbing!

Those metal rungs he's climbing up are a bit too thin for my taste, I would not want to step on one and have it break off.

Other than the dangers of high winds and the tiring work of climbing, I'd actually love to do a job like that. It would be fun to look down over the city, I'm not afraid of heights.

Can a parachute deploy at that altitude?

line6man said:

Base jumpers will go from as low as 100 feet, but that's nearly suicidal. Military jumpers want at least 250 feet for a low-altitude drop. Recreational jumpers typically jump from between 5,000 and 10,000 feet.

Cagey said:
line6man said:

Base jumpers will go from as low as 100 feet, but that's nearly suicidal. Military jumpers want at least 250 feet for a low-altitude drop. Recreational jumpers typically jump from between 5,000 and 10,000 feet.

Ah, ok, I was thinking you had to be at a very high altitude for a parachute to deploy, but I know absolutely NOTHING about parachutes. :dontknow:

One day I would love to go skydiving, though. Looks like a lot of fun.

I used to work in radio as an assistant engineer. Our towers were no where near that height, but we paid guys to climb them to change the lights. I wasn't going to do that. No fudging way.

JaySwear said:
that is without a doubt the craziest thing i've seen in a long long time. forget fisherman and ice road truckers, i'd actually watch this if it were on a channel.

forget those jobs - this shit in nuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SX6Ucbb1l8

in all seriousness...... I should have known better, I'm pretty terrified of heights like that, I shouldn't have watched that cause now I'm all nervous and sick in the stomach........ those kind of heights scare me like the boogie man scares a two year old.

High heights like that don't bother me, mainly because you wouldn't live through a fall. You'll either make it ok or die, so no worries. It's the lower heights that make my ass hole tighten up, like ladders and roofs and such, where if you fall you're going to get hurt, probably bad, and maybe permanently. That kind of thing can really cramp your style. I'd much rather be dead than conscious and paralyzed.

Cagey said:
High heights like that don't bother me, mainly because you wouldn't live through a fall. You'll either make it ok or die, so no worries. It's the lower heights that make my ass hole tighten up, like ladders and roofs and such, where if you fall you're going to get hurt, probably bad, and maybe permanently. That kind of thing can really cramp your style. I'd much rather be dead than conscious and paralyzed.

I used to not be so height phobic, then I took a couple of bad falls off of scaffolds......  One from the top beam of an inground pool down ten feet splat onto concrete, I managed to brush myself off and climb back up to work the rest of the day, but I felt like I got hit by a truck for a week.  I slipped off the end of my old box truck and smashed my heel and I still have problems with that knee and ankle..... Yeah the little falls do suck, but at that height, I'd be worthless to perform any sort of work.  I just couldn't do it.  I was going to watch it again, but I don't feel like puking this morning.

My question is at that height would you actually be alive till you hit the ground.  What is that 1500 feet or so?  My quick math says about 46 seconds worth of flight assuming 9.8 meters per second.  That is what frightens me....... the fall and the sudden stop at the bottom.

BigBeard said:
My question is at that height would you actually be alive till you hit the ground.  What is that 1500 feet or so?  My quick math says about 46 seconds worth of flight assuming 9.8 meters per second.  That is what frightens me....... the fall and the sudden stop at the bottom.

Well, there's nothing physically traumatic about the fall itself, assuming you weren't bouncing off of things along the way, and even if you couldn't breathe 46 seconds isn't long enough to even knock you out, let alone kill you, so I guess you'd spend that whole time conscious and terrified, then you'd die real, real fast. Thankfully, at that point, all your troubles are over <grin>

If you think THAT'S insane, you should see the guy who has to do plumbing at Micheal Moores house  :laughing7:

BigBeard said:
in all seriousness...... I should have known better, I'm pretty terrified of heights like that, I shouldn't have watched that cause now I'm all nervous and sick in the stomach........ those kind of heights scare me like the boogie man scares a two year old.

DITTO!

Cagey said:
BigBeard said:

Well, there's nothing physically traumatic about the fall itself, assuming you weren't bouncing off of things along the way, and even if you couldn't breathe 46 seconds isn't long enough to even knock you out, let alone kill you, so I guess you'd spend that whole time conscious and terrified, then you'd die real, real fast. Thankfully, at that point, all your troubles are over <grin>

there are tons of recounts of pilots in WWII (and WWI before it) bailing out without parachutes. when your options are sit alive in a burning plane all the way to the ground or fall fire-free to your death instead i think i'd pick jumping. terrifying, and awful, but true.

hell, in B-17's and B-24's the ball turret gunner couldn't even wear a parachute in the confines of the turret.

BigBeard said:

You can get a lot of prayin' done in 46 seconds.

Back