Angle of tuning machine knobs on a Warmoth (design) neck?

SeattleScotty

Hi everyone!

I'm sure you've seen me around talking about my upcoming Mooncaster build! Well I have the neck and all the parts that will be installed on it, so I am going to get those done while I wait for the body to arrive!  :icon_thumright:

I have my tuners mostly installed, just not tight and screwed down yet. The one thing I want to make sure about before I do it is that I have the correct/ideal angle of the knobs coming off the headstock. Does anyone have a diagram or a good picture of how the tuners should look from straight-on? The tuners are Hipshot's locking tuners, not that it matters, and they seem to be a great fit for the standard Gotoh tuner routing. Very shiny in the nickle finish I ordered too haha!  :icon_biggrin:

Anyways, I'm sure it sounds like a basic question but I want to make sure I get everything right! Thank you in advance for the help, I appreciate it very much!  :yourock:

They should be in a straight line parallel with the edge of the headstock. Use one of the UMP plates which I read in another thread you don't plan to use but then you will be able to visualise how they should look.

You can also use a straight edge or similar to line them up.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg336528#msg336528

Ahh, thank you, that helps/ My dumb ass didn't think to line them up via the back, I've just been eye-balling the knobs. DUH!

Mine is a 3+3 and the side of the headstock is pretty curved on one side, but knowing to line them up from behind should make it much easier.

Thank you!  Side note - love the look of these hipshot tuners. I got the closed-back version but they are snazzy and so light weight.

Yes Hipshots are nice tuners. I think I would prefer the look of closed back on a 3 * 3...

Back