And so it begins...

bandageboy

So all the bits for my first build have started to arrive.  The Callaham parts arrived a few days ago, along with the decals. Pickups are only a few days away but a few more weeks for the wooden stuff.

DSC_1837 by bandageboy2, on Flickr
Quite happy with the quality except for a few marks on the pickguard which when I queried them was told 'they should buff right out' I feel that when I've just paid $500 for hardware I should not have to do any buffing!

Fender Silver Decal by bandageboy2, on Flickr
Still not quite sure if I'm gonna use the Silver or the Gold Logo

Graham birdie by bandageboy2, on Flickr
Neck plate done by DangerousR6 This has not arrived yet but Doug sent through this pic before mailing the plate, proper excited about this (matches my tattoo  :party07:)

All that needs to arrive are a set of Don Mare 'Hay Ride' pickups and my warmoth body and neck. The first one is not yet built and I'm planning the second, is this normal???

bandageboy said:
The first one is not yet built and I'm planning the second, is this normal???

No - normally you've would have been building #2 already!  :icon_biggrin:

TT: Looking good. I look forward to see more of this.  :icon_thumright:

It looks to me like you are a little excited to get going on this build.  :laughing7:  This is the first time I have seen a guitar laid out with out the wood and it already looks good.  :icon_thumright:

Yeah I'm super impatient at the best of times. I've not played guitar for a few years now so when I decided to start playing again and put my own guitar together I was looking for instant gratification. This is gonna be so much better than taking a tele off the wall at a guitar shop, so I think I'll be ok with the wait.

It's on it's way Graham, sent it out yesterday....It may or may not get there before the wood. shipping to the OZ has been stupid long here lately....Damn gov't workers, always on break or some BS.... :doh:

You seem to work in the opposite direction to me on projects.... I generally buy the body & neck first, then get the hardware in.

DangerousR6 said:
It's on it's way Graham, sent it out yesterday....It may or may not get there before the wood.

I thought there was no way it would arrive after the wood as it is supposed to be six weeks away still, but I woke up to an email saying that it's been shipped!!! I thought I was impatient yesterday, now I'm champing at the bit. Luckily I have the Callaham one to hold it all together before the real deal arrives!

I just don't understand why it had to go at Anchorage AK to get to Australia. Why UPS Why???

Aaargh trying to apply the decal I bought to the vintage satin nitro and the damn thing just peels off as soon as it dries. Any suggestions?

Very pretty stuff!  I love the flame figuring on the neck.  I'm afraid I don't have any experience with decals to be of any help there, is it a waterslide?

bandageboy said:
Yeah it's a waterslide, Doug would superglue not make a right mess?
Nah, not if your quick or use the Gel kind. Then spray a bit of nitro over the decal to protect it...

OK seem to have solved it by doing a little more research. Sanded the headstock a little with 800 paper then sprayed a very light coat of nitro onto the decal after cutting it out but before soaking. Once it had dried I soaked it and applied it to the wet headstock, dried it with toilet paper and a little help from the sun, then applied a coat of lacquer.
It's not outside drying and the decal looks great and is staying put. Hooray!!

Have shielded the cavities and drilled all the body holes for pickgaurd etc. Will post a few pics when my computer is finished restoring back to Snow Leopard. (Lion can kiss my rosy ass)

So the pickups finally arrived today after sitting in the postal system for 5 weeks.
But happy days she's all done and is sounding about a thousand times better than I could have hoped. I have owned some pretty fabulous custom shop fenders in my time, and this tele just blows all of them away!! Well done Warmoth, Callaham and Don Mare. (And DangerousR6 for the super awesome Neck Plate)

Drool Away!

IMG_1445 by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Back Close by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Headstock Front Close by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Back by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Headstock Back close by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Front close by bandageboy2, on Flickr

Necl Plate by bandageboy2, on Flickr

hate to tell you this, but I really don't like it.....I LOVE IT   :icon_jokercolor: Beautiful guitar, looks like a real rocker

Back