Amp dilemma

Jens

In a previous post I asked for some opinions of the new Blackstar Series One amps, but nobody seems to have tried them yet.
So how about Mesa Boogie Express? Particularly the 5:50. Anyone tried it, recorded with it?

I´ve got a Peavey Penta stack and I´m very happy with the sounds, but it´s not very versatile (single channel). It´s a little too loud for studio work and it weighs a ton (almost).
I´m looking for something a little smaller (head or combo), atleast two channels and capable of a warm, open, crunch-sound.
A Mesa Boogie Roadking 2x12-cab, which I already got, will be used with this.

Have tried a million amps, but not found the right one yet.
Mesa Boogies are unfortunally a little harder to come by where I live, as opposed to Marshall, Fender, Engl, Bogner Alchemist, Peavey or Vox.

Right now, I´m curious about: Mesa Boogie Express, Blackstar Series one and the Diezel Einstein.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Which would you choose?

I would normally say go with the einstien.. but the only diezel sounds I'm familiar with come from the herbert or the vh4

If you're looking for a smaller combo that punches the sound at good studio volumes then see if youc an find one of those Epiphone mini valve amps. whatever they're called.  Simple as hell and they sound great.

If you can try the einstein do it. It's a versatile amp with a great build quality. It can do high gain but it's not so metal like the Herbert & VH4. As with the other Diezels you can change the output tubes for different output and sounds. You can try EL34, 6L6, 5881, KT66, KT88. Cabinets and speakers will give different results so try the amp in different cabinets and decide what you like best.

The Einstein seems great. I´m not after a metal-type sound at all really. I´ll have to try and find it somewhere to give it a go.

I´ve read a few complaints about the Mesa´s being a little noisy for recording. Any experience with this?

Tried the Mesa Express range recently and that one is out. Great clean and semi-clean, but as soon as I started cranking the gain all I heard was mud.

The Diezel Einstein 50 head definitely seems to be good.
Anyone got it?

If your looking at the Black Star type stuff, then I can highly recommend another manufacturer.  Cornford.  Handmade in the UK, but they also do a range called the Roadhouse series.
Great cleansm, fantastic filthy dirty drive sounds.

Check em out.  A lot of top players use Cornfords.  I've got a Hurricane (but I wouldnt class myself as a top player  :icon_tongue:)

http://www.cornfordamps.com/r50.htm

Cheers

Jim

Edit:  Meant to add that the Roadhouse range are still built in the UK, btu using PCBs rather than point to point.  This helps bring the price down a bit.

After Googling the list of amps you mention, I'll take the liberty of speaking for C.B. and Tonar as well as myself; you can find a very nice 60's Blackface Super Reverb for less than a couple of the amps on that list.

That would be our answer to everything....

Back