amp cab and head matching.

labguitar1003

hey guys im fairly new to the whole halfstack thing and im going to buy a head without a matching cab to go with it, a marshall lead 100 to be exact and i was wondering how do you matching heads to cabs to get the best results because i will have to buy one unless i want to rely on the direct out all the time, also how does having 1,2,3,or 4 speakers affect what what is a suitable cab or not. sorry for the noob question but better to be prepared than sorry.

Thanks, Labguitar  :headbang:

you need to match the Ohms of the cab to the head
besides that a lot of a cab is the sound you want
speakers
amount of speakers
mono or stereo (can the amp be played stereo or just mono}
all effect the final sound, I like to play 4 speaker cabs on the big rig and have a stereo amp so I go for a stereo cab, I prefer 4 12s, I have owned a double cab 8 10 set up before however After switching to 12s I think I prefer it, that is up to you.
you get a natural chorus with more speakers, the sound is fuller.
Biggest feature about buying the matched set to your head is getting a matched look, I gave up on that years ago, my current big rig has a Vox Blue head and a Vox Brown cabinet, so what.
Most professionals you see are sponsored so they get great looking matched sets, however they also have great techs stuffing those cabs with what they want. Money can get you anything.
During the heyday of the Hair metal days everyone had Lines huge Marshal full stacks on stage, and behind those were rack mount equipment they used with mikes to the actual speakers, Marshall sold thousands upon thousands of full stacks because of that.

so even if i have a couple 1x12 how would the matching work? for an example the heads 8 ohms would i need two 8 ohm cabs or two 4 ohm cabs.

Thanks, Labguitar

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/05/27/speaker-impedance-how-to-properly-match-your-amp-head-with-cabinets/

labguitar1003 said:
hey guys im fairly new to the whole halfstack thing and im going to buy a head without a matching cab to go with it, a marshall lead 100 to be exact and i was wondering how do you matching heads to cabs to get the best results because i will have to buy one unless i want to rely on the direct out all the time, also how does having 1,2,3,or 4 speakers affect what what is a suitable cab or not. sorry for the noob question but better to be prepared than sorry.

Thanks, Labguitar   :headbang:

Ok so you are going to buy a Marshall 100 w head. I would suggest you read the manual very carefully and understand that usually, while an amp is ON, it must be loaded.....That is, it must be hooked up to a speaker or some other way of taking some load. While it may have a Direct Out feature, please read up and see whether this can be used without the speaker attached too.

It's a Lead100 so its solid state.  Just go down to GC and grab one of those super sexy red, purple, or white MG412 cabs.

Back