Amber dye Mustang RSA/QM

I recieved some stuff from Axetech the other day:

151048415083585200_resized.jpg

The push-push pots will not be used this time though. I had some thoughts about using two such pots instead of the toggle switch but decided against it.
But I got these knobs that I'm thinking about. I'm not sure yet though, if I'll use them on the Mustang, but I like them a lot with their rubber grip:

151048415231427400_resized.jpg

151048415373237800_resized.jpg

But then I also got some new tuner knobs and these will go on the neck right now:

151048415668664500_resized.jpg

Halfway ...

151048415818354300_resized.jpg

Done:

151048416043814400_resized.jpg

These are not only smaller - I find bigger knobs harder to use when tuning - they're also 1 gram or so lighter. So less risk of a neck dive :icon_biggrin:

Logrinn said:
I had this in my drawer of parts......
I'm with ya Brother, my first stop for parts is always my drawer of "previously-purchased-but-still-unused" stuff! And I've got boxes of that, not to mention all the stuff still left over from my previous profession! Anyway, $30 for a switch doesn't seem all that much to me, I paid that for the rotary mode selector on my JM, and another $25 for a second rotary, for another product, which still sits in the drawer. I look at them as excuses to start another build.....  :toothy10:

On another note, I agree, those tuner buttons are a great choice for this build. Coming along nicely!

Thanks Steve.
Yes, I too look at stuff I buy that doesn't get used as excuses for another build. And another ... And another ...
:icon_biggrin:

I bought a nice DiMarzio humbucker a while back that I want to try. And at the guitar show in Copenhagen a few weeks back, I tried a guitar fitted with Lace Alumitones that sounded great. So I bought a Strat sized such pickup. Of course I can't put those two pickups in one guitar, I would need to make two new guitars in the future for those two pickups. Right?

Things are coming along nicely. That lower profile toggle switch is a good idea. I could change the one in my JM to one of those but it would probably be better to just build a whole new guitar. After I finish up my current build, that is.  :icon_biggrin:

Also, those tuner knobs are much better looking in addition to being smaller for tuning purposes. That's a very nice mod.

I agree. Modern tuners with their high-ratio gears are easy enough to turn that you don't need big knobs on them to get leverage.

Logrinn said:
I bought a nice DiMarzio humbucker a while back that I want to try. And at the guitar show in Copenhagen a few weeks back, I tried a guitar fitted with Lace Alumitones that sounded great. So I bought a Strat sized such pickup. Of course I can't put those two pickups in one guitar, I would need to make two new guitars in the future for those two pickups. Right?
Your logic is sound and undeniable! And by that same logic, with the number of toggles I have lying around, I should be able to keep "Guitar Center" well stocked for years to come!  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

BigSteve22 said:
Logrinn said:
Your logic is sound and undeniable! And by that same logic, with the number of toggles I have lying around, I should be able to keep "Guitar Center" well stocked for years to come!  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

BigSteve22 said:
I was looking at that switch too, A quick google search found them on All Parts web site:

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4362-000-4-Pole-On-On-On-Toggle-Switch_p_1403.html

That's a lotta switch for a pup selector.....

I was wondering if that's what it is! I have a similar 4 pole switch in one of my guitars, which is also a "full size" pickup switch:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-three-position-on-on-on-4pdt-pickup-selector-switch
I used it in a 2-pickup guitar to have a master volume, plus a blender know that's only active in the middle setting. It dropped right into the switch hole on my SG. The wiring works but unfortunately I really don't like the switch action as it's very stiff and low profile at the same time which makes it hard for me to switch pickups mid-solo for instance. I've considered switching the wiring back. I wonder what the action on this all-parts switch is like? I agree those turrets say "heavy duty" so I can imagine that means it either is also really stiff or has a super amazing switching feel.

It's also very stiff. So it's very different from an ordinary toggle switch. Or a blade switch.
But I quite like it. I've found that with toggle switches it's very easy going from bridge to neck pickup. But not so easy going to the middle position. If one is doing fast-in-the-middle-of-a-solo-type of switching. But with this it's much easier getting to the middle position and of course you have to be a little more decisive to get from bridge to neck or vice versa.
So I find it to be a better alternative to the more "usual" switches out there.

I like this build and wiring idea *a lot* I’m putting together either a mustang or jagztang next (haven’t decided yet), but I may copy this be inspired by this and express deep gratitude.

new-killer-star said:
I like this build and wiring idea *a lot* I’m putting together either a mustang or jagztang next (haven’t decided yet), but I may copy this be inspired by this and express deep gratitude.

Thanks!  :icon_thumright:
I hope to be able to do some more work done on it this weekend coming up and perhaps there's another couple of things that can inspire you making a Mustang of your own.

The biggest thing that is preventing me from starting a new project is that I’ve been dragging my feet on finishing my strat from the screaming deals sale (no particular reason why). But to keep some semblance of sanity I told myself that I would finish that before I started another one...

I haven't been on the forum anywhere near enough lately, but this guitar is going to turn out lovely...Interesting pickups as well!

Axkoa said:
I haven't been on the forum anywhere near enough lately, but this guitar is going to turn out lovely...Interesting pickups as well!

Thanks Axkoa

Logrinn said:
It's also very stiff. So it's very different from an ordinary toggle switch. Or a blade switch.
But I quite like it. I've found that with toggle switches it's very easy going from bridge to neck pickup. But not so easy going to the middle position. If one is doing fast-in-the-middle-of-a-solo-type of switching. But with this it's much easier getting to the middle position and of course you have to be a little more decisive to get from bridge to neck or vice versa.
So I find it to be a better alternative to the more "usual" switches out there.

Nice! I definitely get the appeal of a stiffer switch. The normal open switches on a Gibson are very light which works for me but they also always seem to want to spring back to the middle too easily, so there's definitely room for improvement.

Lining up the bridge ... (using another neck, while waiting for parts)

151103086147014000_resized.jpg

151103085444844100_resized.jpg

151103086652753000_resized.jpg

151102566441869900_resized.jpg

... and ... Done!

151102567373544000_resized.jpg

Back