Votes: 110 23.0%
  • 31-40

Votes: 114 23.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 106 22.2%
  • 51 and over

Votes: 82 17.2%

• Total voters
I joined AARP some years back to get a discount on glasses, only to find my supplier doesn't honor it so i let the membership lapse. Other than that, they have little to offer unless you need a LOT of kindling for your fireplace. I estimate in the last 8 years or so they've spent about $100 or more sending me non-stop crap in the mail trying to get me to spend $18 again, and that's probably a light estimate.

Another highly prolific paper spam generator is Mutual of Omaha. I bought a life insurance policy from them maybe 15 years ago, and I suspect it would cost them less to just give me the insurance for free if they'd stop sending such a massive mountain of crap in the mail.

I logged into my AARP account online, & opted out of only but 1 mailer, otherwise I've saved loads of $$.
Saved $60 on a 3 day car rental last summer when I went to Ca. to visit some family.  Saved 15% on hotel in So. Cal while there.  It's more than paid for itself when I visit Denny's or Ihop.

That's really good. I don't travel or drive, so those things are off my list. I do maintain an NRA membership that might be worth something somewhere someday...maybe... :icon_biggrin:

Cagey said:
That's really good. I don't travel or drive, so those things are off my list. I do maintain an NRA membership that might be worth something somewhere someday...maybe... :icon_biggrin:

:headbang1:

I just realized something... I was 19 when I first joined, I answered this poll at 21, now I'm almost in the third group...

I voted a long time ago - but I recently turned 50 (well sort of recently - in September) so I changed my vote. I was 38 or 39 when I joined up here.

I am rapidly approaching 64 years of age.  I spent most of my life fishing, hunting, skiing, and living in the outdoors.  I have been diagnosed with a CNS disease that keeps me home bound and I turned to guitar building to replace the interests of my pre-disease life.  It has been a life saver and I love Warmoth and the members of this forum.  :yourock:

Be 66 in March. But it's like Ernest Borgnine once said to Tom Selleck in an episode of Magnum P.I. After telling Magnum that he was 72, he asked him if he knew what it felt like to be that age. Magnum said no he didn't know. Then Borgnine said " Yes, you do. Because I feel the same at 72 as I did at 22."

I think the problem is memories don't age, even though time hasn't stopped. The batteries you put in your flashlight are 4 years old, even though you remember replacing them like it was yesterday. That hot chick you remember from high school is still a hot chick, even though in reality she's the same age you are.

Cagey said:
I think the problem is memories don't age, even though time hasn't stopped. The batteries you put in your flashlight are 4 years old, even though you remember replacing them like it was yesterday. That hot chick you remember from high school is still a hot chick, even though in reality she's the same age you are.

It's all about perceptions. We all create our own reality. That's why the effects of old age are a shock to us, we don't perceive ourselves as being old. Therefore, the wrinkles don't fit our reality. But, this is what keeps Cosmetic Surgeons in business.

Back