After market electronics on an acoustic?

elgravos

Hi Guys,

For my next trick, I was planning on blowing a big chunk of change on an acoustic – ballpark 3 grand.  Was looking into the usual suspects: Taylor 814ce etc.  I just have a couple of requirements: a cutaway and onboard electronics.  That aside, I’m pretty easy so long as it plays like a 3 grand guitar.

I’ve just been put in touch with someone who has a 2012 mint Taylor 814c (note the absence of “e”) which they are willing to part with for $1800.  That’s a hell of a lot of savings.  The only downside is the absence of the onboard electronics…

Which brings me to my question - and it’s all driven by my complete ignorance of the acoustic side of the guitar equation: any ideas / recommendations on what sort of aftermarket pickup / piezo / mic electronics I should look into?  If so, can these be retrofitted without too much damage and provide results as good as a built in Taylor Expression system (in this case)?  On the electric side, we all here know that everything can be improved by aftermarket stuff – hence our interest in Warmoth products and custom builds.  Not entirely sure that holds true on the acoustic side though. 

Thanks for your suggestions / recommendations.

Cheers.

Taylor themselves will retrofit the "Expression" system in a guitar that doesn't have it. If I remember correctly, it's about a $500 job. But, it's a very nice system and nobody knows their guitars better than they do or is better equipped to work on them. I think I'd be looking into that solution first.

That sounds pretty worthwhile and would still save me around $800 off a new 814ce...

Thanks, will investigate.

I would consider some outboard solutions. I have been looking to replace the old K&K system (Pure Western - before the current Pure Mini) and been doing a lot of looking and listening.
I know myself, I am considering a Pick-Up the World Dynamic Trio with their Stereo Power plug for my Goodall.

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/acoustic.htm

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/preamps.htm

It would offer you more options than the std Taylor system at about the same price.

Thanks, will check it out.  If your considering putting it into a Goodall it can't be all bad.

Back