Advice on strat build please

Last Triumph

Having just completed my VIP, I'm now looking at my next build, a strat and was hoping to pick up some tips and advice.

I learned a lot from my VIP - things like a contoured neck heel leaves screw heads at an angle in the neck plate and that an angled neck pocket means you need mounting rings for humbuckers as they need to protrude from the body too much for direct mounting etc.

What things can I learn from fellow strat builders to help make the correct decisions?

Some questions....

I was thinking about rear routing to do away with the pick guard - anything I need to be aware of?

I want to go hard tail - what is the highest quality, most comfortable to rest/palm mute on and good to set up?

Is it worth having a chambered body?

I have a 59 round back neck on my VIP which still feels pretty thin to my 'Les Paul' hands - worth going thicker?

Do forearm contours impact the use of unique choice tops?

I've always played a 24.75" scale - what impact will a 25.5" scale have on set up, feel, action, playability etc?

What radius fret board is most comfortable - flatter or rounder? I like a super low action and I'm not a shredder (I hated the flat neck on my Jackson years back)

All hints, tips and advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

For hardtail bridges, the Hipshot unit here has a nice surround that keeps you from getting a handful of saddle edge:

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-bridges/products/fixed-guitar-bridge

They're pricey through the manufacturer, but you can find them for less elsewhere.

http://www.guitarpartsfactory.com/gbridge_hipshothardtail.htm is a good place to start looking.  eBay, Amazon, the usual suspects, will also beat Hipshot, who prices at MSRP to avoid competing with its distributors.

I was thinking about rear routing to do away with the pick guard - anything I need to be aware of?

Only that your pickups will mount differently, and there will be a gap between the fretboard overhang and the body unless you opt for the .720 mod.

I want to go hard tail - what is the highest quality, most comfortable to rest/palm mute on and good to set up?

My favorite hardtail bridge is the Fender American Standard, however I take it a step further and install Graphtech String Saver Classic chrome saddles. They're awesome. So smooth, and the graphite inserts sound good and reduce string breakage. The string spacing with that bridge is not too wide or too narrow.
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/string-saver/product-detail/pg-8001-0c-string-saver-classics-strat-tele-style-offset-saddles---chrome?id=2f9cae12-85c4-4956-a9ce-f79f0a08285c

Is it worth having a chambered body?

I've never had a chambered body, but light weight is always more comfortable than heavy.

I have a 59 roundback neck on my VIP which still feels pretty thin to my 'Les Paul' hands - worth going thicker?

I hate thick necks, so can't help you there.

Do forearm contours impact the use of unique choice tops?

Not sure but I doubt it.

I've always played a 24.75" scale - what impact will a 25.5" scale have on set up, feel, action, playability etc?

Slightly more string tension and slightly wider fret spacing. Has nothing to do with action.
Within a week or two, you'd totally get used to it.

What radius fret board is most comfortable - flatter or rounder? I like a super low action and I'm not a shredder (I hated the flat neck on my Jackson years back).

I like a 10"-16" compound, or a straight 12".  A 9.5" doesn't bother me, but I can't stand a 7.25".

Last Triumph said:

What radius fret board is most comfortable - flatter or rounder? I like a super low action and I'm not a shredder (I hated the flat neck on my Jackson years back)

Some folks deal with the increase in tension that comes with increase in with scale length by going down a gauge in strings.  So if they usually string their 24.75 scale guitar with .01s, they might go down to .009s on a 25.5 scale guitar.  Depends what you use each guitar for, though.  You might want one guitar to be the one you have to "fight" a little bit with, or be able to use alternate tunings without the strings getting all pasgetti.

Fretboard comfort is all about playing style.  Folks who do lots of chording often prefer lower, rounder radius, while those who spend more time soloing (especially further up the neck) prefer a higher, flatter radius.  Either can be had with low action.  Flatter radius boards are preferred because the notes don't choke out as much with heavy bends, although some folks are of the opinion that choke out can be avoided on rounder radius boards through fret dressing and proper setup.  Warmoth's compound radius (10"-16"?) is a good solution - Goldilocks gets to eat her cake and eat it too, or something like that.

Thanks everyone so far.

What is the 720 mod?

The Fender flat mount looks nice, but the allen head screws would dig in to your palm if the bridge was low, no? As the screws would protrude from the saddles?

I always thought that choking on a radius board only happened when you bend away from the centre of the board not toward it, as in one direction you're higher frets are falling away with radius where in the other direction they;re getting closer to the strings by not falling away as much?

Will the pickups have to float and wobble on springs without a pick guard?

I don't recommend the 720 mod in this case. The Strings get so close to the body that you have to setup the saddles to the lowest possible position, at least with the fender flatmount, which may not be low enough in some cases. Also it's really just a small area where the fretboard overhangs.

On rear rout versus pickguards.

Pickguards can give you a lot of versatility. An HSS rout with different pickguards could give you SSS or HSS for example. A universal rout gives even more possibilities.

A rear rout, how will you mount the pickups?
Screw direct to the body or mounting rings which may not look that great depending on your point of view.
What pickup configuration do you want, HH, HS, HSS, HSH, SSS once you have chosen you are stuck with it.

The allen screws do not protrude above the top of the saddle on the American Standard bridge or the Graphtech saddles, so nothing is diggin into your hand.

TheElvis said:
I don't recommend the 720 mod in this case. The Strings get so close to the body that you have to setup the saddles to the lowest possible position, at least with the fender flatmount, which may not be low enough in some cases. Also it's really just a small area where the fretboard overhangs.

That's absurd. The Am Standard hardtail bridge is plenty low for a good setup with the .720 mod.

stratamania said:
On rear rout versus pickguards.

Pickguards can give you a lot of versatility. An HSS rout with different pickguards could give you SSS or HSS for example. A universal rout gives even more possibilities.

A rear rout, how will you mount the pickups?
Screw direct to the body or mounting rings which may not look that great depending on your point of view.
What pickup configuration do you want, HH, HS, HSS, HSH, SSS once you have chosen you are stuck with it.

I just want a regular SSS configuration.

I don't like pick guards as to my eyes are a) Very cheap and plastic looking and b) cover a lot of the grain pattern in the wood.

As for mounting the pickups - I guess it would be the same method as with a soloist? Problem is I've not looked at one closely enough to pay attention to how it's done and it's been years since I sold my awful Jackson Dinky to remember from that.

Ok, if you know you want SSS and prefer no pickguard that makes the choice easier.

(Strat pickguards can also be had in aluminum/aluminium or brass. But of course, if you want to see a top with a grain pattern that is a consideration too)

How to mount them. There are pickup mounting rings for the purpose but to my mind, they don't look that great but others use them.

The other alternatives are foam underneath the pickups and woodscrews to mount them with of some type. Or use some inserts that the pickup machine screws can go into to make them a little more adjustable.

I find the boatneck profile the most comfortable, having a fatback, standard thin, and Clapton V as well. But I would not go all the way fatback if I was moving up a bit as it is truly an almighty bit of timber. Wish I could say I have been hands on with the Warmoth '59 profile to compare but have not so far. It appears I do not have small hands so a boatneck with 1 5/8 width fills enough of my palm but allows full access. I have one rear route strat and nothing stands out for me to pass along but I am not one of the most experienced here.

As to the 25 vs 24.75 question. I play 25 inch scale and when I pick up a guitar at a shop with the Gibby scale I find I have to lighten up a bit lest I strangle the notes. I use 10 gauge strings on strats and bend strings alright, not like Albert King but enough to my taste. You can also order a 24.75 scale strat neck from Warmoth. I can't speak to any "tone" differences (if they exist) but there are some feel differences.

musicispeace said:
I find the boatneck profile the most comfortable, having a fatback, standard thin, and Clapton V as well. But I would not go all the way fatback if I was moving up a bit as it is truly an almighty bit of timber. Wish I could say I have been hands on with the Warmoth '59 profile to compare but have not so far. It appears I do not have small hands so a boatneck with 1 5/8 width fills enough of my palm but allows full access. I have one rear route strat and nothing stands out for me to pass along but I am not one of the most experienced here.

As to the 25 vs 24.75 question. I play 25 inch scale and when I pick up a guitar at a shop with the Gibby scale I find I have to lighten up a bit lest I strangle the notes. I use 10 gauge strings on strats and bend strings alright, not like Albert King but enough to my taste. You can also order a 24.75 scale strat neck from Warmoth. I can't speak to any "tone" differences (if they exist) but there are some feel differences.

Thanks for your reply. I'm inexperienced so only have my '59 to compare to. It's 'fine' but certainly doesn't feel fat, and is thinner than a Les Paul Standard but not as thin as a Jackson Dinky.

How do you mount your pickups to the body and are they stable and have enough adjustment?

I trust you didn't go for the 720 mod?

I'm a southpaw too, if that's you in your avatar?

Last Triumph said:
musicispeace said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm inexperienced so only have my '59 to compare to. It's 'fine' but certainly doesn't feel fat, and is thinner than a Les Paul Standard but not as thin as a Jackson Dinky.

How do you mount your pickups to the body and are they stable and have enough adjustment?

I trust you didn't go for the 720 mod?

I'm a southpaw too, if that's you in your avatar?

Sorry to get back to you this late. It's been one of those weeks. Looking at my rear route strat the pickups are direct into the wood. Now bear in mind I do some work and a great tech here does the rest as I gradually move forward learning things. He is a stickler about adjusting pickups so it must have worked to his satisfaction.

You are correct that I did not do the 720 mod. Mine is a mahogany body with a lam top and with maple neck, rosewood board. My avatar pic is Mr. Albert King, one of the "three kings" of blues (BB King, Freddie King, Albert King-not related)

Back