Advice: Modeler vs Individual Pedals

TBurst Std said:
I'll let you know how it goes, but there is a Fractal Axe-FX Ultra in my future. Everything I have heard out of it so far is in a different park than other modelers.

Cool! And yeah, I've seen a few videos on YT and it's just in a different league. If you get one, could you post a review here?

"... What if you use 7 pedals AND a M-E unit? 

... and 2 amp footswitches.....  and midi."

You get sore shoulders?  A hernia?

just 2 :)

although I did find a great sound recently .. plugging my Shockwave head into my bass players 8x10 Hartke cab.  :laughing11:

Volitions Advocate said:
just 2 :)

although I did find a great sound recently .. plugging my Shockwave head into my bass players 8x10 Hartke cab.  :laughing11:

Frusciante (Chili Peppers) would run guitar heads through bass cabs.  It's actually more common than one might think.

Speaker choice is a hugely important part of EQ. Many people think of equalization as something that's only done by little sliders but everything you use is an EQ choice. Hendrix used cheap coily cords specifically to drop the resonant frequency peak from a Strat to make it more compatible with the rest of his rig. Look through the frequency graphs for speakers here:

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

Most of the guitar speakers have a resonant peak around 2.5K, then it falls off a cliff. Most of the bass speakers are even out to 5K or 6K, then they drop off completely - there just aren't any highs gonna get through that thing.... if you plug a graphic EQ into something before those speakers, the only difference the settings will make above 6K are on what's overdriving or triggering another part of the system - you'll never hear anything above 6K. Different speakers have different rolloff points. You'll don't see guitar players plugging a guitar amp head into a full-spectrum PA speaker cab with horns or tweeters, because the highs will shatter your teeth. Try it sometime.

kboman said:
TBurst Std said:
I'll let you know how it goes, but there is a Fractal Axe-FX Ultra in my future. Everything I have heard out of it so far is in a different park than other modelers.

Cool! And yeah, I've seen a few videos on YT and it's just in a different league. If you get one, could you post a review here?

Will be glad to. Probably about 4-6 weeks out from purchase.

Well after reading everything you guys posted, I decided to go with a Maxon OD-808 and a Vox Wah to start with.  Those 2 should get the sounds I am looking for initially.  For xmas, I'll see about getting the Vox Tonelab.  Maybe one of you guys that have one could put up a vid showing some of the effects you use with it.

A Tubescreameresque pedal and a wah, simple and standard.  You should be happy.  Too many effects ruins your tone and distracts your playing.

At the end of the day, your audience does not care about guitar gear minutia.  You should make your notes memorable to them, not your logos.  Its music, not NASCAR.

I use a Vox Tonelab SE.  The bigger one thats discontinued.  I have more on that thing than I'll ever need.  I have two sounds I've dialed in, one clean and one dirty.  I don't use but only 10% of the tones or effects on this thing.  I just like the ease of plugging into the PA and fitting in the mix, rather than positioning an amp and fighting the volume.  If I ever go back to using an amp, it will be small and mic'd, or a behemouth Marshall Superlead stack (that I pay someone else to carry).

Hey now, easy on NASCAR....working for a company that owns 12 race tracks, I need NASCAR to make as much money as possible so we can make as much money as possible and I can get a bigger bonus in 2010 to build another geetar.  :icon_biggrin:

I didn't mean to offend.  NASCAR cars are covered with logos and brand names of their sponsors.  While I recognize this is how NASCAR works, I was not slagging it. 

I just don't think too many logos are good for guitar tone, in a holistic sense.  More logos translates into more of the guitar player's time being eaten up looking at all the propaganda and pretty pictures of the latest greatest trend in 40 year old technology.  Time that should be spent getting fingers aquainted with strings. 

Unlike NASCAR, where more logos translate into more money for more go-fast parts, resulting in more victories or spectacular crashes.

Back