Advice: Modeler vs Individual Pedals

lafromla1

So far I have been playing straight to a Fender G-Dec Jr or a Fender Blues Jr amp and wanted to start playing around with some pedal effects.  I can either go the modeler route (I was looking at the DigiTech RP350) or go with a modified Maxon Tubescreamer and an Ernie Ball Wah Pedal.  The two pedals will give me the effects that I am looking for but the modeler has all those additional bells and whistles, including recording capabilities (which I have not done any yet).  This would be strictly for inhouse use.  Any suggestions?

Try out a Vox Tonelab LE - I've heard good things about them. Then report back. :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
Try out a Vox Tonelab LE - I've heard good things about them. Then report back. :icon_thumright:

I have a bunch of vintage pedals on ebay right now, so I can get a tonelab!
Luke has one and it sounds great!

I run a tonelab LE in a live situation.  it's great.  I've been slowly selling my vintage pedals

BTW, that EH Bad stone is still for sale  :glasses9:

I have a "vintage" (1981) dunlop wha that picks up spanish radio stations and is good for nothing else. I use the wha in my L6Pod and that works great with more options and no radio interferance.

Brian

first off.. make sure you've made the distinction between a modeler and a multi-effects unit.

My ME unit (boss gt10) does effects and amp modeling.  But I don't use the models. at least not for modeling.
Using many pedals has its disadvantages. mainly many connection points which can colour (suckify) the sound, this is greatly reduced if they're true bypass.

I find that an effects processor gives me a great deal more control over my sounds than individual pedals do, they just have a steep learning curve.  Using amp models I think is really dumb.  if you want a marshall sound, get a marshall.  Because the marshall preset on your modeler sounds like a marshall through what kind of amp?  well if im using a boss pedal I can assume i'll get a marshall sound with a jazz chorus.  But i play a rivera so I dont think i'll get that marshall sound.

I do use the models to get interesting sounds, but i never use them to try to get the sound of "that" amp.

Well using a modeler for amp sounds through an amp is not a good idea. That's why there are things like Tech 21's Power Engines - so you don't color the sound with an amplifier. Or you run it through the PA.

Have a look at the Boss Me-50, it has a decent wah and several of Boss's OD pedals as well as a bunch of other junk, it's cheap to buy, well made, and no programming skill is required.

I've never got on with multi effects units, I just don't like the interface, they are too complex for me. I'm much happier with an array of stompboxes at my feet, even if the ensuing rats nest of cables is rather confusing. Personally I'd just get a basic wah, distortion/overdrive and some sort of modulation pedal (delay, chorus etc) and start from there. My basic set up is an Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer , Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon and Boss DD-3 , that little selection does most things I want, sometime I add an Electro harmonix Big Muff Pi (russian) for some fuzzy goodness.

+1

Modeling interfaces can be really confusing... it takes a while to find any really useful tones. Even when I do find usable tones, I'm still usually more satisfied with a decent clean toned amp and some good stompboxes.

Then again, I have never tried the Vox Tonelab... which I'm hearing good stuff about from ya'll so maybe I can still be converted.

Nick Ellingworth said:
I've never got on with multi effects units, I just don't like the interface, they are too complex for me. I'm much happier with an array of stompboxes at my feet, even if the ensuing rats nest of cables is rather confusing. Personally I'd just get a basic wah, distortion/overdrive and some sort of modulation pedal (delay, chorus etc) and start from there. My basic set up is an Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer , Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon and Boss DD-3 , that little selection does most things I want, sometime I add an Electro harmonix Big Muff Pi (russian) for some fuzzy goodness.

+1 as well. I like a chain of pedals, each with a specific task. I never liked the feel/vibe/whatever of multi units. Stomp boxes all the way.

-erik

I always thought in terms of portability.  If you're going to get a plethora of effects, then get a line 6 POD, or that digitech modeler.  If you're going to use a few tasty effects, then get pedals.  It might be you still haven't figured out what you like, then get that model box by all means.  If you know what you like then you might be bothered with all the excess crap.

I've used digitech units, zooms, yamaha's and POD's.  The reason I got rid of mine, was that I didn't like the quality of the digitech or zoom units, the yamaha's caught on fire, and the POD's wore out too fast. 

For me a basic pedal set-up is a pedal tuner, tube screamer, a wah, and an analog delay.  If you're going to lug around more than say seven  pedals, including a tuner, then get a POD or multi-effects box.

In terms of modeling versus analog, I always go with analog, but not because of the sound.  Analog is easier to repair.  But if you like a modeling pedal, then go for it.

Sometimes, less is more.

If you want the best affordable multi-effect unit, get the Line 6 M13. I've played quite a few different setups, from all-out modeling to all stompboxes, and this thing is great. It has the simplest interface ever... you just have to see it to realize how simple it really is. Plus it's got a built-in 30 second looper.

I'm now playing through a homemade compressor, shredmaster clone, envelope filter, and then the M13 into a tube amp. The M13 is the most transparent piece of digital gear I have ever played through. I couldn't tell a difference with or without it in my chain.

Rick said:
If you're going to lug around more than say seven  pedals, including a tuner, then get a POD or multi-effects box.

... What if you use 7 pedals AND a M-E unit?  :tard:

... and 2 amp footswitches.....  and midi.

:cool01:

I'd be careful putting any pedals in front of a digital effects or modeling unit (i.e.,  something that might boost the signal).  My Lace duallies alone clip the input on my J-Station (really nasty clipping) making it unusable.  My V-AMP Pro also clips with the default input gain setting (a setting that is only available from a menu.... if you can call it a menu... more like, press buttons D and E at the same time and then.... I always have to look at the manual to remember).

I've always been happy with my Boss GT-8: it sure beats all Line6 products I've tried. Setting the input/output levels is very important - to not get horrible clipping - and also very easy to do. I constantly find new ways of getting useful sounds with it, which I think is the best review it can get.

I'm very interested in the Axe-Fx though... It seems very powerful, but it's damn expensive.

I'll let you know how it goes, but there is a Fractal Axe-FX Ultra in my future. Everything I have heard out of it so far is in a different park than other modelers.

Has anybody tried the Rocktron Utopia G300? it looks and sounds interresting..
I am about to get a tonelab, but I there's still time to change my mind :)

http://www.rocktron.com/site/products/frame_index.html

Back