active pickups with a passive mode

rockskate4x

I want to use carvin's simple wiring harness in a build, because it is easy to install and passive/active, but I don't like carvin pickups that much. Does anybody know of any good active pickups with a passive mode that I can use as  an alternative to the carvin pups???

:sad: :tard: :dontknow:

I just checked their website, which one?  Guitar or bass?  Really doesn't matter, neither one comes with pickups.  It is an active preamp.  It is what is active.  It goes with passive pickups.  There really isn't such a thing as active pickups with a passive mode, just a semantic arguement.  There are active preamps for use with passive pickups which is what this is and what you want I'm guessing.  EMG is the most popular notable exception because their pickups have the preamp built in, it's practically impossible to go passive with them, so they are just simply referred to as active pickups.

In conclusion, get the Carvin thing and use your favorite passive pickups.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I just checked their website, which one?  Guitar or bass?  Really doesn't matter, neither one comes with pickups.  It is an active preamp.  It is what is active.  It goes with passive pickups.  There really isn't such a thing as active pickups with a passive mode, just a semantic arguement.  There are active preamps for use with passive pickups which is what this is and what you want I'm guessing.  EMG is the most popular notable exception because their pickups have the preamp built in, it's practically impossible to go passive with them, so they are just simply referred to as active pickups.

In conclusion, get the Carvin thing and use your favorite passive pickups.

EMG do ave passive pickups (with the cover to make them look like their Active ones), I assume the pre-amps sold by EMG would work wonders with them.

Thanks, Super. I don't think I could ever part with my SD's  :rock-on: :party07: :headbang1: . I'm glad that the Carvin thing will work with them.

Back