Acoustic Baritone Strings

S

swarfrat

OK - been looking for strings for my baritone.  D'Addario EXP23's are the best thing I've found so far, but 1) they're a tad expensive, and 2) I want a wound 2nd string, and 3) the 1st and 2nd strings are a tad heavy for my preferred tuning (parallel fourths BEADGC).

John Pearse 3200 and 3210L look like a pretty good match, but nobody carries them, or has outrageous shipping.
I tried putting together a set of bulk strings from juststrings.com, 15/22w/30/42/54/68, but they don't sell bulk strings bigger than 0.056 in either 80/20 or Phosphor bronze.  (They do sell a 68 and 70 in nickle  and stainless. I know nickle isn't as bright as bronze, but stainless is brighter than nickle. I hadn't really considered mixing.)

With a stainless 6th string that set comes out to $5.12/set for a dozen sets. My current plan is just to grab about 3 packs of $10 strings and a bulk pack of the 22's since that's whats breaks most often.

Anyone playing baritone acoustic - what are you stringing, how are you tuning, and are you happy?

I am looking for what you are told. I think it's a good idea, too.

The cheapest and most custom option I found was to order bulk strings at juststrings.com, for the 1st - 5th, and phosphor bronze D'Addario singles. In bulk, 0.015/22w/32/42/52 runs $3.07 a set, and the 0.070 is $3.35ea.  Works out to $6.42 a set. I'd suggest ordering extras on that 22w though. It's a high breakage usage.

Back