Accidentally bought 2 Boss DS-1 pedals

hannaugh

Master Member
Okay so I wanted to get a decent but cheap distortion pedal because all I have right now are fuzz pedals, so I went on fleabay and bid on two Boss DS-1 pedals, not expecting to win either... and won them both.  So now I'm trying to decide if I want to sell one or keep them both and mod one.  They were really really cheap (one is new, the other is slightly used), so I don't really feel like I HAVE to sell one in order to afford food, but I will if I find I don't really have a use for 2 of them.  Any ideas?

No, see, I wanted a DS1 because they're crazy cheap.  I don't want to spend $80 on a kit.

Mod each one to a different spec. You'll only spend $.80 on the parts for both. C'mon.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Feb/Boss_DS_1_Mods.aspx

I personally endorse the Vintage mod and recommend the Classic.

*note: list of stuff you have to change is on page 2. Notice how short it is for each mod.

I've only tried the vintage one so far but it is incredible. Turned a crappy distortion pedal into an overdrive channel replacement for my amp (don't even use it now).

I figured you just wanted cheap, but for me BYOC kits (or just sourcing your own parts and going off a schematic) is like Warmoth - you pay more than you do for the cheap stuff, but you end up with a top-notch, best-in-class product for what a mid-range product would normally cost. Plus it's a fun project. Just wanted to toss in the idea, at least.  :)

If they were cheap, keep them and mod them. You can probably pick up parts at Radio Shack or order them cheap online, and in an evening have two pedals with different character. If you don't like one of them, sell it on eBay again as a "modded DS-1" for more than you paid for it.

I'm definitely putting some of the BYOC kits on my Christmas list.  I want the Lazy Sprocket and the Tremolo especially. 

For now though I just need a cheap decent distortion pedal and I need it soon for some stuff I'm working on. 

I think I'll definitely try a mod on the used one and see where it goes from there. 

The stock DS-1 really is a crappy pedal. I think you'll like a modded one though. And hey, that fizzy 80's sound is nice to have around if you already have a... musical distortion laying around.

Try the indyguitarist mods ( from Brian Wampler of Brian Wampler pedal fame!) on those DS1's, I did his "classic" mod to my DS1 and it's an awesome pedal now!

I figured it wasn't the best pedal out there, but at least it's not made of plastic.  As long as the casing is strong, I figured can work with it until it sounds good since it's such a common pedal and there are a lot of others out there who have modded it. 

If I could get any distortion pedal I wanted, I'd probably get the Mouse kit from BYOC or a RAT. 

Right now all I have is fuzz.  Personally, I like fuzz better than distortion, so that's what I use most of the time.  I've got the Fuzz Face and Big Muff PI.  But sometimes I need regular distortion, and at this point all I have for that is a digital multi-effects pedal, and the distortion on that is freaking horrid. 

Just have some fun and mod one.  You might want to look into getting some sockets (the single inline IC's sockets) so you can socket caps or LED's for clipping diodes, perhaps socket the op amps.  It will allow you to swap things quite quickly, and find the sound you like.  I warn you, this is an epic time waster if you have fun messing around with this stuff.

I have done quite a number of BYOC pedals, and they are a lot of fun.  The analog chorus is a really nice pedal if you like that effect.  I really want to get a tri-boost as well, it has all of the classic fun boost options.  Also they have the Shredder, which is the clone of the old Marshall Shred Master pedal of Radiohead fame.  I would love to build one of those and put Shredder of TMNT fame on the box.  Anyways, have fun with the pedals.
Patrick

I just finished my first BYOC and love it.  I bought a large beaver, powder coated the chassis seafoam green, and build it to standard ram's head specs.  Sounds way better than any fuzz pedal I've tried previously.  Next one I'm definitely going to source my own parts though.

Ooops, forgot to add, go to the BYOC forums for an incredible amount of modding options.  They have quite a number of different mods, and reviews as well.  Very nice for trying to figure out how to get, "That," sound.
Patrick

I have a modded DS-1 (cost me $25.00 for the parts, by the way), and the only thing I don't like about it is the "icepick" high-end. It was the same before the mod. The mod just added bass and more overdrive. It actually uses a red LED as an extra gain stage, which blinks as you play. If you can get rid of that annoying high end (sounds like the 10K range), it would probably sound great.

In hind-sight, I really didn't need more bass or drive. A slight mid boost, and a reduction in the icepick highs would make it a much better-sounding pedal.

Just finished doing the Vintage mod plus I added a bigger cap at C10 to knock the shrillness down, and it really did the trick.  The pedal sounds a lot better than the original, but it lost a little bit of bite.  It's more like a heavy overdrive than a full on distortion pedal.  I'm going to keep it this way for now and try the Classic mod on the other pedal tomorrow and see how that goes.  I'll give a full compare/contrast report tomorrow. 

This is way more fun than just buying a really nice distortion pedal, I must admit!  :toothy10:

Just like it is hard to look at guitars on the wall of a store the same after a Warmoth, you'll probably never look at pedals the same either...
Patrick

hannaugh said:
This is way more fun than just buying a really nice distortion pedal, I must admit!  :toothy10:

Yup. Just wait til you start doing full kits, and then you start sourcing your own parts, next thing you know you're building a Vero board off a schematic with some mods you came up with.

Just more of a project.  I mean most of it is there, just start seeing if you can resurrect it.  Whether it is something that is a part of the rig or not, it is a good exercise to see what you can do with the piece of gear.  What do you have to lose?
Patrick

I think I might have scratched/chipped something off of the circuit board that was important.

Back