A quick story and a new guitar

Captain Ron

:hello2:
I watched my boy buy a bike and then take most of the parts off and replace them with the 'right stuff' that you buy after.  I thought of getting another stratocaster as I miss the two I had years ago.  When looking to see what I would get I find that I would probably do the same thing, buy a guitar and then throw half the parts away and buy hot rod parts to make it better.  All that advice I gave him against doing that was stareing me in the face.  I decided to just buy the parts that I wanted and it would be better and cheaper than buying a guitar and just saving the decal and changing everything else.  I have some experience, you know at doing that kind of thing.  When I was in college a kid who I barely knew came up to me and said, "Here take this guitar and amp and mike and give me two hundred bucks, I am in trouble deep and need to get the money to extract myself from this quagmire I have embedded myself in.  I will pay you back and pick up my guitar and you can use the guitar till then, within one year".  He said the stuff was worth 4 times that much.  I didn't play guitar and can't for the life of me figure out what combination of magic he brought to bear to talk me into that deal, but he did and I ended up with a blue '62 Stratocaster and a Fender really loud amp.  At 10 minutes to midnight on the 365th day, that guy showed up at the college I went away to and found me in a bar having pizza and beer and wanted his guitar and amp back.  He threw $200 down on the table and motioned to me lets go get it.  By this time, a year of study beaks with the guitar later, I had made friends with the guitar and there was no way he was going to get that guitar back.  After several close encounters of a violent nature we parted friends and he parted with the amp, but not with the guitar.  Thats how it all started.  The bottom 4 frets needed to be changed and my roommate and I took it in to the best music shop we could find.  They wanted $37.50 to change those four frets, or for $3.00 they would give us enough fretwire to do the job ourselves.  Well, being in college and needing to save the other $34.50 for beer we took the $3.00 option and away we went.  Thats where I got the experience in guitar building you know.  The third fret wouldn't stay down.  I traded that guitar in without them knowing about the fret and paid $100 to boot to get a new 1975 sunburst strat.  Boy did I pull the wool over on them.  I think the book shows that pre CBS 62 strat at something like $40,000 today - who's foolin who?  Nobody probalby cares about this anyway - I miss the strat and ordered some parts from Warmoth to build one for my very own self.  I hope I can figure out how to put up a picture.  It has a satin, Warmoth-pro birds-eye maple neck, bound in black with black stars on the fretboard.  Gold Planet Waves auto trim tuners.  I got gold screws and the gold wilkinson trem bridge and bought a set of Samarian Cobalt noiseless pickups from the Fender Custom shop and had Warmoth make me an Alder body and there you go.  I will post a picture with this if I can figure it out.

Captain Ron

Nice story.  Nice guitar.  The Varga looking neck plate is sweet. 

:guitarplayer2:

Thanks!  I got that from FSR on Ebay.  The guitar plays really well.  The frets are gold and are a little clunky as I am used to playing a Gibson SG with low wide frets that seem almost non-existent compared to these Jumbos.  The guitar fits really well - feels really good.  I need a name for her now.  The paint job is the Antigua Burst.

:rock-on:

I do have a question that perhaps someone could help me with.  I put the Warmoth sticker on the headstock.  They said be very careful as you won't be able to reposition it and it won't come off.  After the guitar was finished and I had done the first run basic set-up I decided to place the string tree on the first two strings and dog gone it that Warmoth sticker was right where the string tree needed to go.  I probably should have drilled the pilot hole right through the sticker, but I thought I could get it off.  Actually I had no problem taking it off and I have another so I can replace it easy enough.  Here's the rub, when I took the sticker off, it came, but the adhesive stayed on the neck.  I need to get that off before I put the new one on and before it collects enough grime that it produces a permanent dark spot.  The birds-eye maple has a satin finish and I don't know what I might use to get that adhesive off without taking off the finish on the headstock.  Any ideas would be appreciated!
Captain Ron

:redflag:
I haven't had time to do the lighter fluid thing yet, but I will try to be very careful.  Here's another little detail that came up - I bought gold screws for everything and the ones I got for the switch and pickups worked fine for the switch but they didn't fit on the Fender pickups.  The fender pickups are the ones they use on the American Deluxe Strat and the screws are necked down one size before they screw into the pups so I had to forgo the gold screws and use the steel ones that came with the pups.  Anyone got an idea on how to address that?  I didn't see anything at Warmoth that looked like it would do. :sad1:

The Captain  :evil4:

OK - I went for the lighter fluid and found we had something called Goo Gone which worked pretty well actually at getting the adhesive off of the headstock.  I was able to apply the new Warmoth sticker and we have that issue solved.  I had to take the strings off to get at the adhesive and was wondering how those self trim tuners would be and if you could put the strings back on once you took them off.  That worked fine and the strings went right back on.  I think I am going to call her 'The Pretender'.  Now if I could get the gold pickup screw thing goin on I'd be all jammin'!  :guitaristgif:
Here's a pick of the headstock and how she looks in my lineup!
Captain Ron  :evil4:

Nice!  :hello2:

Gold pickup screws:  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Screws_springs/Pickup_Height_Screws.html

Nice guitar hero controller.  :laughing7:

On that subject, did you see that there is a full guitar sized, made from real wood (yes real, WOW), guitar hero controller. What a waste of wood.

Blue:
Thanks for the tip, I will get them from Stew-Mac

Wanna:
That controller is my daughter Katie's.  :party07:
It's all I can do to stay ahead of the kids, when they play that thing, they do really well and then they try to get me to try it.  I won't go there, there is no way I could beat them at their own game.  I have to get them on my battlefield and I am trying to get them to start with the real guitar, but they say it is too hard. :laughing7:

The Captain :evil4:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Nice guitar hero controller.  :laughing7:

On that subject, did you see that there is a full guitar sized, made from real wood (yes real, WOW), guitar hero controller. What a waste of wood.

er, wow - that's terrible.

BTW, nice strat! (I mean the real one)

Captain Ron said:
Blue:
Thanks for the tip, I will get them from Stew-Mac

Wanna:
That controller is my daughter Katie's.  :party07:
It's all I can do to stay ahead of the kids, when they play that thing, they do really well and then they try to get me to try it.  I won't go there, there is no way I could beat them at their own game.  I have to get them on my battlefield and I am trying to get them to start with the real guitar, but they say it is too hard. :laughing7:

The Captain :evil4:
Thats a bit wussy, a few simple chords are easier than Expert level on Guitar Hero. Though Expert is really fun when you know how it's done.

But guitar Hero does not match a real guitar in any way.

:sad:
Well I got the gold screws from Stew-Mac.  I ordered the Fender single coil pickup height screws and they don't fit the Samarian Cobalt Noisless pickups I got from the Fender Custom Shop, the ones they use on the American Deluxe Strats.  The steel screws that came with the pups are one size smaller thread than the ones I got from Warmoth and the ones I got from Stew-Mac.  Must be a special on those pups.  Also there is an unthreaded shoulder at the top of the screws that came from Fender.  Maybe I'll see if Fender has gold screws.  Anybody else have any ideas?

Captain Ron  :evil4:

Back