A question on neck wood aesthetics

Chris of Arabia

I'm busy pondering my next little project, but have a dilemma - choice of fingerboard wood. I'm almost certainly going for a tiger eye dye finish on something like these two

PS2784a.jpg
PS2739a.jpg

(ignore the actual body options shown)

Now, I'd like to hear what you think would make the best colour combination with that finish

• Maple with a clear finish
  • Maple with the vintage finish
  • or rosewood?

Not particularly fussed whether I play maple or rosewood necks so that doesn't help me. It will be getting an SD Crazy 8 at the bridge and a single coil sized HB at the neck (no middle) if that helps.

For that color I'd go dark. So not maple. Rosewood, Ebony or any other dark wood would look best to me.

I was kind of edging that way myself, especially having read the thread on rolling your own edges. Rolled edges on an SRV profile? I'm warming to the idea...

I recently ordered a body in a fire burst, and I went with ziricote on the finger board.  It seems to be around the same darkness as rosewood (without any reddishness to it) and has one of the prettiest grains I have seen. 

Macassar Ebony on Flame Koa

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=11&itemNumber=SN4793&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=6

Canary looks darker than it does in the showcase in most light conditions.  I would give it consideration.

Rosewood or Ebony. Definitely something dark since the body has that kind of 'smokey' feel going on ....

Phrygian said:
Canary looks darker than it does in the showcase in most light conditions.  I would give it consideration.

Definately... Mine is much darker than most canary in the showcase...

Chris of Arabia said:
I was kind of edging that way myself, especially having read the thread on rolling your own edges. Rolled edges on an SRV profile? I'm warming to the idea...

Good combination.  I have an SRV contour on my strat and rolled the edges.  Definitely softens up the contour in my opinion.

I'd have to be a disenting party and say flame maple with matching tigereye dye on the pegface. (This will require a laminate on the pegface, BTW.)  Birdseye maple if you go with a quilt top.

Rosewood, to accentuate the brown.  Ebony would be OK, but I'd prefer rosewood with this colour body.  Definitely not maple.

Back