A nod to SRV. Lenny build. Finished.

Surf n Music

IMG-20220726-141312-853.jpg

It took a minute. Really loving her though. Learned a lot through the process.

I always loved SRV's Lenny strat. I figured I'd give it a go. Nobody makes a decent inlay. All I can find is decals so I figured I will carve a replica of the inlay. I got a practice piece of alder to try a couple carvings and experiment with stains and nitro lacquer to try n get a close match for the finish. It will take a bit but happy to be tinkering.

Attachments

• 20220123_092656.jpg
    20220123_092656.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 58
stratamania said:
What do you plan to make the inlay out of?

I think I might just try engraving it into the body. I got a practice piece of alder so I can see how it'd turn out. If I can't get it close then I'll have to figure out how to make a inlay without the tools.

Surf n Music said:
stratamania said:

I think I might just try engraving it into the body. I got a practice piece of alder so I can see how it'd turn out. If I can't get it close then I'll have to figure out how to make a inlay without the tools.

The question was more leaning towards the materials used for the inlay or do you plan to just engrave a shape and not inlay it?

stratamania said:
Surf n Music said:
stratamania said:

The question was more leaning towards the materials used for the inlay or do you plan to just engrave a shape and not inlay it?

Ha I'm a little slow at times. I think not inlay it. Was gonna try and mask it off and try some different dyes/paints to see if I can get something to look good. We will see. I got some time on my hands. It feels like it'd be hard to create a inlay with hand tools, although I guess back in the day that's how it was done.

So long as you use real gold leaf, the application process isn't that bad. With sizing, you'd be looking at $70 and lots of gold left for other things. If you don't have or can't borrow a good make-up brush, a pouncing brush would be some more $$.

Okay so after trying to carve on my practice piece I can see it won't turn out very well. Got my stenciles to size, got my jewlers saw and router. I  have a bunch of inlay materials coming to try my best to match.

Attachments

• 20220204_092032.jpg
    20220204_092032.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 23
Here is the pic I'm trying to match to. All materials should be here next week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-220959_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-220959_eBay.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 40
I was going to suggest you might could get someone with a laser to engrave it, then fill.

swarfrat said:
I was going to suggest you might could get someone with a laser to engrave it, then fill.

Ohh that could be nice. I got some veneer sheets coming to put the inlay into and then put the whole thing into the body. I've watched a few videos. Looks fun. Got some practice pieces to try on first. Fingers crossed but I think I can pull this off.

Allright I got various materials to work with and my tools are here. Might be a minute. Definitely need to practice but excited to start. I think the gold MOP looks real nice but there is some reconstituted stone that is nice too.

Attachments

• 20220210_162509.jpg
    20220210_162509.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 21
On a side note my pickups came in and got the Guard all loaded n soldered.

Attachments

• 20220209_160906.jpg
    20220209_160906.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Well got the inlays done. Man it took a lot of practice. They aren't perfect but I'm happy. Next step is routing out the little spots to put the inlay into. Decide to use a piece of maple for the bat wing. Now to practice with the

Attachments

• 20220327_120215.jpg
    20220327_120215.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Obviously I dig SRVs music and so on but I don't know all the minutiae that some fans may know. Something I meant to ask before is there a known back story or history to how this inlay came about in the SRV Lenny Strat?

ragamuffin said:
Wow, did you cut out those inlays by hand? That's impressive!

Thanks! I had to practice a bit and many a broken blades. It takes some time. I just tried to zen out and not break the mother of pearl. Fun to tinker.

20220325-143352.jpg

stratamania said:
Obviously I dig SRVs music and so on but I don't know all the minutiae that some fans may know. Something I meant to ask before is there a known back story or history to how this inlay came about in the SRV Lenny Strat?

Well a bit of the joke is what a bad job was done on the inlay and finish. From what I know they saw it at a pawns shop and SRV wanted it and his wife bought it for him. He wrote the song Lenny as a gift back to her. It started with a rosewood neck but later Billy Gibbons gave him the maple neck it now has. Lennyvis one of my favorite songs.

Well some more progress finally. Felt a bit intimidated with this but stoked in the end. Still need to epoxy it in.

20220515-162851.jpg
[/ur[/img]
20220515-140837.jpg

Back