A neck I want

Gio18

So I want to get a warmoth body (soloist)but I want to get this neck
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-USA-Fender-JIM-ROOT-Stratocaster-Strat-NECK-Guitar-/360325708448?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e515faa0 could I put it on?

Yes, you can put it on a soloist body.

You can order a strat neck with the same specs (minus the F logo) from Warmoth for half price.

Kostas said:
Yes, you can put it on a soloist body.

You can order a strat neck with the same specs (minus the F logo) from Warmoth for half price.

+1 and with prettier ebony....

The Jim Root neck has the Fender countoured heel, so to match it to a W body would either take some extra wood working to match it to the neck, or an extra hole in the neck to match it to the body.
You'd be better off with a new W neck, especially if you go with stainless frets.

AutoBat said:
The Jim Root neck has the Fender countoured heel, so to match it to a W body would either take some extra wood working to match it to the neck, or an extra hole in the neck to match it to the body.
You'd be better off with a new W neck, especially if you go with stainless frets.

Not true. Drill one extra hole, and it will bolt right onto a standard Strat-style body with a standard neck plate. Contouring the heel would be cool though.

Well, I want Tommy and the boys at USA Custom to kiss and make up with their crosstown rivals (and former employers) Warmoth, so that I can have a bomb-proof double-acting Warmoth truss rod combined with USA Custom's excello sizing system, any profile with any thickness, U-Pik-Em. And Miss America? She want World Peace.

missamerica.jpg

In this picture, that other lady is installing the "speech" module.

And HE? :eek: :eek: :eek: He wants your mind..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hippiewithpsychedelibass.jpg

Biggus Pickus said:
The fret tangs on the Jim Root neck are not visible.

Also on the Fender JR neck, the side dots are halfway between the maple neck and ebony fretboard.

jimrootneck.jpg

A Warmoth neck will have visible fret tangs, and the side dots will only be on the fretboard.

I always thought it was cheesy that guitar manufacturers put some sort of wood filler in the fret slots to cover the tangs.  The color almost never matches, and I think it looks tacky.  I'd much rather see the metal fret ends.

Biggus Pickus said:
Also on the Fender JR neck, the side dots are halfway between the maple neck and ebony fretboard.

That's something I can't stand about Fender necks. It looks stupid having side dots done that way. :sad:

It does sorta look like a poorly positioned drill press fence. Somewhere along the line, probably in the marketing department, somebody said

JohnLovitz.jpg

We did that on purpose! Yeah, that's the ticket!
We wanted it that way! Yeah! Famous people like it!

The undercut fret tangs are actually an improvement, if they're done for the proper reason, which is to keep the frets from protruding and catching your finger. You notch the frets similar to what's done to make then fit over binding, only, there's no binding. I'm not at all sure that that's why FENDER does them that way.

stubhead said:
The undercut fret tangs are actually an improvement, if they're done for the proper reason, which is to keep the frets from protruding and catching your finger. You notch the frets similar to what's done to make then fit over binding, only, there's no binding. I'm not at all sure that that's why FENDER does them that way.

That's exactly what it looks like they've done here, stubs. They don't slice all the way across the ebony when slotting for the frets, as if the fretboard had binding around it. Then, they clip the fret tangs at the end before installation.

I think the 50/50 side dots are from back in the day when Fender used thinner veneered fretboards, and only half of the side dots would fit on the rosewood.

63_strat_7.jpg

A '63 Strat w/ veneer board

...and maybe, nowadays, the only reason they still do 'em that way (even if the board is thick enough not to justify it) is because they used to do 'em that way. It reminds me of a story...

A new bride is making her first big dinner for her husband and tries her hand at her mother's brisket recipe, cutting off the ends of the roast the way her mother always did. Hubby thinks the meat is delicious, but says, "Why do you cut off the ends — that's the best part!" She answers, "That's the way my mother always made it." The next week, they go to the mother's house, and she prepares the famous brisket recipe, again cutting off the ends. The young bride is sure she must be missing some vital information, so she asks her grandma why she cut off the ends. Grandma says, "Dear, that's the only way it will fit in the pan!"

Biggus Pickus said:
I think the 50/50 side dots are from back in the day when Fender used thinner veneered fretboards, and only half of the side dots would fit on the rosewood...and maybe, nowadays, the only reason they still do 'em that way (even if the board is thick enough not to justify it) is because they used to do 'em that way.

I'll bet you're right.

Cute story, BTW <grin>

Back