a few questions on superglue

doctor-dave

New member
Messages
11
i'm currently 2 coats in with a pretty light superglue finish on my guitar (LP5 in work in progress), and i was wondering, because superglue gives such a strong finish would it be wise to do all my drilling before i put anymore coats on? and if i do drill, what would i do to clean up the holes - and strings thru? should i use a drill/dremel and bore them out a bit?
also, is it best to do a light sanding with 320-400 after every coat has dried, i read somewhere here to do like 15 coats then sand it after
thanks for your time


oh also im thinking of getting a set of koa pickup rings from www.pickuprings.com - does anyone have any feedback on their service?
 

ognolman

Senior member
Messages
351
doctor-dave said:
...because superglue gives such a strong finish would it be wise to do all my drilling before i put anymore coats on?

I would wait until I was finished.  Superglue isn't going to stop a drill bit.

doctor-dave said:
...and strings thru? should i use a drill/dremel and bore them out a bit?

You may have to do that.  Or get a wooden dowel from a hobby shop that is about the right size and wrap it with some sand paper to use as a sander.

doctor-dave said:
also, is it best to do a light sanding with 320-400 after every coat has dried, i read somewhere here to do like 15 coats then sand it after
thanks for your time

15 coats of superglue?  I've not actually heard of anyone using superglue as the final finish, so I don't know what to tell you about this.  CB has a good post about using superglue as a filler in the DIY Finishing section, it will probably be useful to you if you haven't already seen it.

doctor-dave said:
oh also im thinking of getting a set of koa pickup rings from www.pickuprings.com - does anyone have any feedback on their service?

I've only used them once, but they were excellent.

JBD
 
Top