A few Q's before ordering

leinad

Hi all,
I (most likely) will be placing my order tomorrow for my first Warmoth project and maybe some of you guys/girls have time to go over it and point out any obvious don'ts/mistakes/omissions in this order. The pickups, pots and truss rod cover are not stated as I will be ordering these locally.

I also have a few remaining questions:
- Is there a 'best' type of finish for a mahogany neck? I am thinking of going for a satin finish, but it states there will be no finish on the fingerboard. Is this not necessary or should it be done separately? (I do not know much about finishes)
- Will the electrosocket for Tele fit in the LP body (7/8")?
- Which curved humbucker mounting rings do I need for a carved LP top, is it a matter of taste, or is a short meant for the neck and long for the bridge?
- Is the neck plate pad necessary?

thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Daniel

Body:
Carved LP mahogany body with flamed maple top.
H x H, Standard routing and control options 7/8" jack and Gotoh 510 bridge.
Iveroid binding
Green dye with black gloss back, see PS1848 as example.

Neck:
24 3/4" LP mahogany neck with ebony fretboard
Standard 10"-16" radius, 1-11/16" nut width
6130 Standard Nickel/Silver medium jumbo.
Gotoh tuning holes for the SG38
Graphite nut
Iveroid binding
Custom inlay, one celtic cross on the 12th fret, mother of pearl
Ebony peg head veneer
Satin finish

Hardware:
Gotoh 510 bridge G510G
Gotoh SG38 tuners, 3*SMLG, 3*SMRG
Various caps (CAP1 and CAP2)
Black curved humbucker mounting rings * 2
Neck plate NP1G
Neck plate pad NP1P
Neck plate screws, 4*S6
Strap SSB1G * 2
Wiring
Electrosocket for Tele, ES1G

Welcome to the forum, my 2 cents worth;

- Is there a 'best' type of finish for a mahogany neck?
I am thinking of going for a satin finish, but it states there will be no finish on the fingerboard. Is this not necessary or should it be done separately? (I do not know much about finishes)

Satin is a fine choice, many like the smooth, less sticky feel as compared to gloss. No need to finish the fretboard.

Fits.

- Which curved humbucker mounting rings do I need for a carved LP top, is it a matter of taste, or is a short meant for the neck and long for the bridge?

Correct, small neck, large bridge.
Be careful, as many arched pickup rings vary.

Not necessary, but a nice touch.

As for the build, the only thing I would do different would be, Stainless Steel frets and Planet Waves tuners. Oh, and lefty of course.

Cheers, sounds cool. Post pictures when done and during.

Agreed. with the below.  I would add that the SG38 tuners are usually associated with fender-type guitars, if that matters at all. A cheap and simple tuner option that I would maybe use instead is:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html
This is not a traditional gibson les paul thing either, but I just think they look cool, and have the light weight and high (low?) gear ratio that I like.

Yes but the LP plate is a better arrangement in my opinion.

Angled, curved bottom, one short, one tall.  Having said that, the Gibson rings are "barely" curved and will work on the LP or flat top guitars - but not on the ES-135 and up... (135, 137, 175, etc) ExcepT that the ES-335 series uses standard rings with the neck ring "reversed".

Cool 70's retro

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.

The tuners do not fit at all indeed, I think I was only looking at the price when I chose those, a set of planet waves will be better in the long run.

I think I will be ordering the Seymour Duncan hot rodded set from Thomann, it's a good deal as I do not have to pay the 19% vat, so they are just over a 100 Euros. Not very original, but a safe bet. Once the guitar is finished and I have some extra cash, it will be the first thing I will want to replace.

The green dye with the ivory binding should look great.  That was one of my favorites when picking out colors.  I ended up going with yellow dye and cream binding.  But the decision could have swung either way.  I think I only went with yellow because I wanted something bright and all my other guitars are dark.

I have completed the order. I changed my mind and went for a showcase body, Mahogany with quilt maple, green burst, Iveroid binding and transparent green back.  I wasn't too sure about ordering a flamed or quilt maple body that I have never seen before as all flames and quilts look different and some do not look good at all. The showcase body looks great and the price was good.

Body and hardware will arrive soon, but will have to wait 12 weeks for the neck to arrive. I hate waiting, not very good at it... :icon_biggrin:

cheers.

Back