A couple of questions about my guitar..

juliancs

Sorry if this is in the wrong section - I was not sure where to file it.

Ok first up - my G string is constantly going out of tune. It is not getting played/bent around more than the others, but is going wildly out of tune quite often. Could it be the fact that the strings are 3 weeks old? (In singapore that = rust, dead, strings). Anything else I can check? It has been fine most of the time - has not always been so.

Secondly, when I hit the notes at the 12th fret, they are slightly off the note they are supposed to be. A fairly small amount and it does not sound like a totally different note, definitely not a whole not flap/sharp. However, do I have an intonation problem?

I've gotta take this guy to Japan for my audition on Friday so I don't have the time to take it to someone, so I hope there is a quick fix to all of this : /

Many thanks in advance.

intonation? (Spelling?)

Take to a guitar store to get it set up if you can't do it, or if you don't have time(as i just re-read) check out the internet on intonation, you might find something useful on how to set it up easy.. But then again it could just be bad strings, get some elixir's strings.

1. The G-string......Is the nut cut correctly for the string size, Could the string be sticking in nut slot?  Also, is the tuner slipping?  Also, Like Wana said, it could just be duff strings.

2. Definitely sounds like an intonation problem to me.  You need to adjust the bride saddles.

I sometimes have problems with the G staying in tune... what I do is I tune it up to pitch and then bend it really far and/or pull on it to stretch it. Then I check the pitch again. If it went out, I tune it up again and do the same. Repeat until it won't go out of tune.

I've also noticed that when you intonate so that the 12th fret matches the 12th harmonic, on some guitars the notes around the 15th and higher can be a little flat. I usually compensate by making the 12th fret a tiny tiny bit sharp - on the high strings. Seems to help. Your mileage may vary.

nut isnt cut perfectly, and the problems with the 12th fret can be dealt with by good intonation.

thanks for the replies. Warmoth cut my neck - so, do i have to replace it? or can it be "fixed". Again, sorry about all the dumb questions, I can't even change a plug...

I doubt there's anything wrong with the nut. I've found that tunning with locking tuners is a little bit different. Try what I said to do before you have your guitar looked at. If it doesn't help, then take it in.

juliancs said:
thanks for the replies. Warmoth cut my neck - so, do i have to replace it? or can it be "fixed". Again, sorry about all the dumb questions, I can't even change a plug...

warnoth's nut-cut is just a basis on which you can tweak it as needed. just bring it to a good luthier.

@Godrex: I do think thats the problem. I had the same thing as Juliancs, and re-shaping the nut made all the problems go away.

I had a similar problem (string going out of tune) on my son's LP that we built.  It turned out to be the string slipping in the tuner.

On both of my builds, the nut was fine for a basic set up, but did require a bit of work to get the desired setup.  Nothing major, just needed to lower a couple of slots.

Bill

Thanks to everyone's replies. I'm going to see my luthier today - he said it's a small problem that can be fixed quickly  :hello2:

I really want to learn how to do this stuff myself...

Anyway, thanks again folks! Off to Japan on Friday to give Berklee another shot!

juliancs said:
Thanks to everyone's replies. I'm going to see my luthier today - he said it's a small problem that can be fixed quickly  :hello2:

NO no no... glad it was small and can be fixed, but you don't get off that easy... what was the problem?

Hehe,
I got it all fixed yesterday. I think!
My luthier, to my request, set up my guitar with a pretty arrow-straight neck and 10's on there. I then changed the strings to 9-46's, and also spent alot of time in Eb tuning. I also raised to bridge too much in my own "fix" of the action. So he put some relief into the neck, messed around with the saddles a bit. He checked the nut and tuners and said it was fine. He also said all in all, it might have just been a bum string.

Anyway, all fixed. Nice low action, staying in tune. Berklee audition, here I come  :sad:

juliancs said:
Hehe,
I got it all fixed yesterday. I think!
My luthier, to my request, set up my guitar with a pretty arrow-straight neck and 10's on there. I then changed the strings to 9-46's, and also spent alot of time in Eb tuning. I also raised to bridge too much in my own "fix" of the action. So he put some relief into the neck, messed around with the saddles a bit. He checked the nut and tuners and said it was fine. He also said all in all, it might have just been a bum string.

Anyway, all fixed. Nice low action, staying in tune. Berklee audition, here I come  :sad:

What are you playing for your audition and when is it?  I go to Berklee now.  I hope you get in; do you know what you want to major in yet?

Back