a bit discouraged

ledzepplin6914

well i attempted to make my first band recently, got everyone: me on lead guitar, had a rythm guitarist who did most of the vocals, a guy on keyboards and a drummer.
aand we had our first practice together, i showed a few song ideas i wrote, and it felt like i was the only one doing anything. they had no input. got the impression they all thought there was no work involved and itl all be easy.

needless to say im a bit discouraged, had trouble finding people for a band as it is and now i dont know where to go from here

(btw im a freshman in highschool so needless to say all the people were from my school)

ledzepplin6914 said:
well i attempted to make my first band recently, got everyone: me on lead guitar, had a rythm guitarist who did most of the vocals, a guy on keyboards and a drummer.
aand we had our first practice together, i showed a few song ideas i wrote, and it felt like i was the only one doing anything. they had no input. got the impression they all thought there was no work involved and itl all be easy.

needless to say im a bit discouraged, had trouble finding people for a band as it is and now i dont know where to go from here

(btw im a freshman in highschool so needless to say all the people were from my school)

What you need to do now is start a sniping war in the media against your bandmates, and then record a solo record featuring duets with superstars of the day, such as Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney...oh....insert stars of the day here. Then you need to have a tearful reunion and a "comeback" record for your band.

It'll just get worse.  Just wait until your first gig and you find yourself the one renting and setting up the PA.

Seriously  - tell them how you feel and let them know that you're not planning to do everything.  Get a schedule together of the songs you'll learn, delegate someone to get a logo, another to come up with a name, another to get rehearsal space, and set goals for the band.  Then the wheat will separate from the chaff.  Chances are the ones who think it's easy will learn that it's hard and then get out of it.  Make sure that that door is open.

What you describe is the exact situation I have been in every time I have ever tried to start a band.  That's the hardest thing about being a musician, in my opinion... finding other musicians who have their sh*t together and getting them to show up to practices. 

It sounds like they're currently not open to your original music, so just do covers for a while till everyone is in sync with each other, then introduce the original stuff

Alfang said:
It sounds like they're currently not open to your original music, so just do covers for a while till everyone is in sync with each other, then introduce the original stuff

+100

Keep it simple, then grow into your own style.  Keep working on your music, though, and you could at least introduce one song at a time after you guys have gelled.  It's great that you are starting to try working with others in a band at your age because it will take time and work.

Yeah, work your way through a few classics and then open up the arrangements a bit and see what the others have to say about how they want the songs to sound like....gives you an idea where their musical tastes are.

Once you've all learned the few songs, then one day just rehearse free form on them. Extend the solos, change the tempo or rhythm around, muck around with them once you know the songs well. A lot of the others' personalities will come out then.

Give it a week or so and ask the others when they next wanna rehearse......that will be your first clue if they have the same enthusiasm as you. Usually though, there is one band member who is the one who books the rehearsal rooms, PA or hassles for gigs, the others tend to sit back and enjoy a fair bit.

It's discouraging for sure, but not unusual when bands start out..... try not to take it to heart.

There is no bassist, it will not succeed!!!  :laughing7: just kidding.
yeah i would say go with covers for a start, then introduce originals,
Currently i have people interested in a band in "stasis" whilst we finish off university work, but soon as thats done we have a good month or two before i go home for summer.
Id say stick in there, and im not sure what it is like in america, but in england its hard enough finding the members so to me you've done the hardest part, now you just need to
ask them what music they like, i would say agree on a song each that you like, each of you learn that, and practice with them four.
That way your including all of them.
I think at the moment mine stands at
I Dissapear by Metallica.
and im going to try throw black night into the mix  :glasses9:
Keep on trying, it'll work out sooner or later, if not with these guys then you will find others not up there own asses about the subject  :laughing7:

SolomonHelsing said:
There is no bassist, it will not succeed!!!  :laughing7: just kidding.
yeah i would say go with covers for a start, then introduce originals,
Currently i have people interested in a band in "stasis" whilst we finish off university work, but soon as thats done we have a good month or two before i go home for summer.
Id say stick in there, and im not sure what it is like in america, but in england its hard enough finding the members so to me you've done the hardest part, now you just need to
ask them what music they like, i would say agree on a song each that you like, each of you learn that, and practice with them four.
That way your including all of them.
I think at the moment mine stands at
I Dissapear by Metallica.
and im going to try throw black night into the mix  :glasses9:
Keep on trying, it'll work out sooner or later, if not with these guys then you will find others not up there own asses about the subject  :laughing7:

it sucks no one plays bass!

it was kinda rushed but either way it did feel like i was the only one who gave a s***
we did schedule stuff, got it organized. we did delegate stuff for people to to but no one did anything

but before i bore you all with endless rants im gonna keep on going with things, thanks for listnen to everything and for all the help

Just like hitting puberty, kissing a girl for the first time, getting your drivers license....

We all have our first "band" experience and it pretty much always plays out how you described. The first time my friends and I got together to jam it was a complete mess. We were basically all trying to show off our Pantera licks in front of each other, not even remotely interested in playing anything together. It was basically just a wank-fest. As I got older, the musicians I came into contact with were more focused and mature. This is just part of the process. Just have fun with it and make some noise. You've got plenty of time to work on your original stuff. Fact of the matter is most young musicians don't know what the hell they are doing. And I include myself in that group because I was there....years ago.

Back then, we always used to use drugs to fix... wait a minute, whad say? O.Nazfrtch. eeVer QZzD!

(HEY! KIDS! In 40 YrS YU CANnND JUST AS COOL AS.... ME!!!)

To quote a friend, "The things I've loved doing the most, I hated when doing them."  It's always a struggle to find a group of people that have your same passion, drive, and influences.  Playing the music is usually the easiest part.  Getting them there, metaphorically wiping their butts so they have extra drum sticks, guitar strings, mic cables, 9v batteries, you've dressed up and they're all in shorts and flip flops, or vice versa.  A former drummer of mine couldn't afford a kick drum mic, but always had money for new shoes, cigarettes, and a bar tab.  Priorities?  It's always something, and there's plenty to be discouraged about.  You said you're in HS, wait 'til you're in your late teens or early 20s, all you wanna do is rock out and do it well only to have your efforts crapped on by the just discovered alcohol crowd making it all about how f'ed up they got.  At your age, I was learning to play, as was everyone else I was playing with.  You may find out you're stuck with who you have simply because they play the instrument.  You stated you don't have a bass player.  If and when you get one, is he the "one," or is he the "only one?"  If he's the only one, there's a greater than zero chance it won't be a perfect match.

As far as them not wanting to do your originals, I have a few theories.  Some guys I've played with that were beginners didn't/couldn't play something someone wanted them to do by describing it to them of playing it for them.  If it was on a recording, they picked it up no problem.  If they are learning, they may just have a problem with finding their own voice on their instrument, so to speak.  Asking them to create or play along with something that doesn't really exist may be hard for them.  Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, your originals my be lacking.  Their interest in covers only may just be a way to nonconfrontationally avoid the conversation.  You'll find too, those most critical of what you create create nothing themselves.

Back