7/8 S-type body: measurements available? Fit with Strat-o-sonic neck?

Glow

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as I'm finally getting serious about ordering from Warmoth, I have found this forum very helpful already.

I am looking at the 7/8 s-type bodies, my project is to get a body from Warmoth and to use a neck that I already have: it has a 24.75" scale length and comes from a Fender Strat-o-sonic ( For reference and here). I have lready checked the neck pocket, it should fit as it is standard Fender dimensions.

However I'm not sure whether the neck will intonate properly. Is there any measurement availabIe to make sure that a proper intonation is possible (i.e. for the body: what is the distance between bridge and the inner edge of the neck pocket) ?

It's hard to explain, but I would like to get some kind of confirmation by measuring that this neck will indeed work.

I already contacted Warmoth via e-mail and received this info: "if you’re 100% sure it’s a 24-3/4” scale length you should be all good!". I'm not certain that this is 100% correct: I think, I need to understand where the neck would be postiioned along the scale. Right?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings from Germany,
Florian

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Florian.

Perhaps send the person at Warmoth who advised you a link to this thread, as you may be all good, but the neck fit will not be all good or work.

It will not intonate even if it fits in the neck pocket

The scale length is only half the story, where along that scale length the neck body join is provides the other half.

The Strat-o-sonic is a 24 3/4" scale but a 22 fret neck. The Warmoth 7/8 is a 24 3/4" scale 24 fret neck built on a 25.5" neck blank, with the end of the heel at roughly the 23rd fret. See also video below.

Last edited:
The scale length is only half the story, where along that scale length the neck body join is provides the other half.

The Strat-o-sonic is a 24 3/4" scale but a 22 fret neck. The Warmoth 7/8 is a 24 fret neck built on a 25.5" neck blank, with the end of the heel at roughly the 23rd fret. See also video below.

Hello Stratamania, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that it is "a 24 fret neck built on a 25.5" neck blank". The second part of the sentence "end of the heel at roughly the 23rd fret" leads me to believe my neck could maybe fit & intonate 🤷‍♂️

From what I can see on pictures of the Stratosonic (and I will check that on my guitar once I get home), I would say that the heel ends at around where the 23rd fret would be... That is why I tend to believe it could

I will check out the video later.

Post some pictures of your neck removed from the body so we can see it from the bottom, top and sides. I could be wrong but I am not convinced at this point that it will work. The 7/8 end of the heel is somewhere between the 23rd and 24th fret.

Post some pictures of your neck removed from the body so we can see it from the bottom, top and sides. I could be wrong but I am not convinced at this point that it will work. The 7/8 end of the heel is somewhere between the 23rd and 24th fret.
Sounds good, I will do that a.s.a.p.

Sounds good, I will do that a.s.a.p.
Ok, so I have taken some pictures of the neck on the guitar. 20220825_184041_remastered.jpg20220825_222850.jpg

The distance between the center of the 22nd fret and the heel end is ~1/2".

20220825_222759.jpg

I can't take the neck off before tomorrow, but I'll do it, if it helps.

A somewhat related question: I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the 7/8 necks would fit and intonate correctly on 24" scale bodies, eg Jaguar, Mustang or Jag-Stang, and vice versa.

I can't now find the thread (links lost when the forum was upgraded?) and there is nothing on the website to confirm this, so can anyone clarify whether this is true or not?

A somewhat related question: I seem to remember reading a long time ago that the 7/8 necks would fit and intonate correctly on 24" scale bodies, eg Jaguar, Mustang or Jag-Stang, and vice versa.

I can't now find the thread (links lost when the forum was upgraded?) and there is nothing on the website to confirm this, so can anyone clarify whether this is true or not?
Yes, this is true.

To the OP: what's the distance from the neck pocket to the centre of the bridge post on the Stratosonic?

Mustang/Jag necks (24"-scale, 22 frets) do work on the 7/8 bodies.

The 7/8 Warhead neck is indeed built "on top of" a 25.5"-scale shaft, but the fretboard is slotted for 24 frets spaced at the 24.75" scale-length--based upon the bridge location on the 7/8 bodies--instead of 22 frets spaced for 25.5" scale.

On a 7/8 body, the distance from the neck pocket to the string-through holes for a Strat-style hardtail, for example, is right about 6-11/16", if I recall. Distance from the center of a string hole to the break point of a saddle is, what, approx 1/2" on average?

So, if your neck is 24.75" scale and if the distance from said neck's nut to heel plus 6-3/16" equals ~24.75"... you might be okay. But no promises until you can slip one in the pocket and actually measure nut to bridge.

So, if your neck is 24.75" scale and if the distance from said neck's nut to heel plus 6-3/16" equals ~24.75"... you might be okay. But no promises until you can slip one in the pocket and actually measure nut to bridge.

I would take this as reliable information, as @J-Bones works for Warmoth.

The distance between the center of the 22nd fret and the heel end is ~1/2".

It is closer to 10mm or just over 3/8" on the inch scale of your calipers. When measuring for this type of thing, accuracy is of course important. Just over 3/82" would be close to 25/64".

Fret 22 of your neck should be at 17.805" from the nut and it looks like the end of the heel could be where fret 23 theoretically would be.

The scale length minus the distance to fret 23 (theoretical possible end of your neck)
24.750 - 18.195 = 6.555

This also ties in with this...
It's roughly 165 mm - should be around 6.5" ...

Convert 6.555 to fraction is 6 111/200 or rounded down by 100th of an inch about 6 6/10" which when subtracting 6-3/16" that J-Bones mentioned I suspect will position your bridge about 33/80" rounded out to 3/8" or around 9.5mm too far from the end of the heel.

If this calculation based on reasonable estimates etc is correct, that would mean if the bridge is out by 9.5mm that is too much for saddle intonation adjustments to be able to accommodate and would not allow the guitar to intonate.

My take would be not to risk it unless actual accurate measurements reveals something much closer to what the measurements would need to be.

Thanks a lot for all that excellent info - although those fractions make my head spin ;)
I have tried to take more preicse measurements toady in order to get confirmation one way or the other:

Measurements.jpg

So, if (and it's a big if) I understood all of that corredtl and my measurments are good, it seems I'm >8mm short, based on the calculation:

Nut to heel (463mm or 18,228") + 6-3/16 (157,1625 mm) --> 620,1625

Can saddle intonation adjustments compensate for that?

So I calculated you were about 9.5mm out and your measurements reveal 8mm, in both cases it is unlikely that a bridge would have sufficient adjustment to cope with that.

It would be a lot less hassle and straightforward to get a 7/8 body and neck and know that will work without issue.

Back