5f1 on the way

big bob

just getting started... this should be fun when all the parts get in.
582335_344295562302460_100001660580965_950873_401447198_n.jpg

I'd love to build a Ted Weber 5F1A (10" version in a 5F2 chassis) but I'm electrically retarded.

Where are you getting your kit from? Found this on eBay, seems intriguing at the price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Style-5F1-Tweed-Champ-Tube-Amp-Kit-Chassis-DIY-/260897562996?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cbeb4e174#ht_1652wt_952

I just finished a 5C3.  It is a fun little monster.  Relatively easy build.  Still have to build the TV Front version of the 5F1, aka Champ.  Post picts so we can see.  Fun fun.
Patrick

You'll dig the circuit and can exp with a few diff cathode bypass caps and rectifier tubes to play with the headroom and feel.

jackthehack said:
Where are you getting your kit from? Found this on eBay, seems intriguing at the price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Style-5F1-Tweed-Champ-Tube-Amp-Kit-Chassis-DIY-/260897562996?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cbeb4e174#ht_1652wt_952

I started with a kit from triode.. they let me substituent the output transformer and some other stuff. once it's all together I can run an el84 (with adapter) at 2 watts
or a 6v6 at 6 watts or a 6l6 for 12watts or an el34 for around 13watts. I should be able to swap rectifier and preamp tubes as well.  I still don't have the chassis or some of the resistors I ordered. aside from a little trouble identifying color bands on resistors the build is super simple... much like a model 

AutoBat said:
I'd love to build a Ted Weber 5F1A (10" version in a 5F2 chassis) but I'm electrically retarded.

You don't need to know too much. If you can read, solder, handle a screwdriver, a nut driver and maybe a drill motor, you're all set. It's not as tough as you think. Women built the things originally. Not to disparage women, but they really didn't know what they were building and it didn't matter. I worked at an industrial electronic controls manufacturer for years and we had almost nothing but women on the assembly line and in the the circuit board department, and they had no idea whatsoever what they were building. Could have been puppy euthanizers for all they knew. Point is, there are assembly drawings, wiring diagrams and schematics, and with nominal skills you can build damn near anything.

Cagey said:
AutoBat said:

You don't need to know too much. If you can read, solder, handle a screwdriver, a nut driver and maybe a drill motor, you're all set. It's not as tough as you think. Women built the things originally. Not to disparage women, but they really didn't know what they were building and it didn't matter. I worked at an industrial electronic controls manufacturer for years and we had almost nothing but women on the assembly line and in the the circuit board department, and they had no idea whatsoever what they were building. Could have been puppy euthanizers for all they knew. Point is, there are assembly drawings, wiring diagrams and schematics, and with nominal skills you can build damn near anything.

I'm going to go off on a limb here and postulate the reason you have almost 9000 posts is that you don't get a lot of dates...

Where oh where is the mail man with the rest of my parts! I guess I have no other choice then... I'm off to take a nap!

Cagey said:
AutoBat said:

I love the confidence boost you've just given me.  I'll make sure to have someone put "Cagey told me I could do this" on my tombstone. :)

AutoBat said:
I'll make sure to have someone put "Cagey told me I could do this" on my tombstone. :)

Don't laugh - that gets a lotta people out of trouble <grin>

Well that's it, my first amp build in the books.
I changed the circuit just a bit and added bigger transformers so she can handle 6v6/6l6/0r el34
I've only played her for just a little while today but she has a real nice sound.
I'm already thinking about the next build... 5e3?

That looks great! 

The 5E3 is an amazing amp.  If you want to hear what one cranked up sounds like, look out for the live version of Steve Marriott's, "Five Long Years".  Not sure if that's what he's using, but it sounds exactly like my 5e3 with a 12" Weber Blue Dog.

big bob said:
Well that's it, my first amp build in the books.
I changed the circuit just a bit and added bigger transformers so she can handle 6v6/6l6/0r el34
I've only played her for just a little while today but she has a real nice sound.
I'm already thinking about the next build... 5e3?

Back