59 Replica Strat

Tonar8353 said:
59StratWhiteGuard.jpg

I think it's worth noting, or at least this is my observation, rather my opinion, this original '59 is not good looking at all by today's standards.  It's not the faded Nitro finish that makes it unappealing.  The colors don't gradually fade into each other.  The separation on this is more like stripes or a rainbow.  Which is funny because my hippy dad that did have a few pre-CBS Fenders swore the original Fender bursts were beautiful and they just don't do 'em like that anymore.  Guess it's just nostalgia. 

The colors don't gradually fade into each other.  The separation on this is more like stripes or a rainbow.
Sunburst guitars tend to do that in photos under certain lighting so you don't see the blending of the colors as well.  Here is the Road Show segment where they examine the guitar and you can see it looks different through out the video because of lighting. At about 3:38 into the video you can see the blending of the colors on the upper horn and it looks great.  The interesting thing about the photo of the guitar is that it shows the red and yellow color very accurately for what a clean non-faded 59 would look like. It is also a very early 59' because it has a maple neck and single ply white guard. I would love to find it under the Christmas tree.  :icon_smile:

It is very interesting to study the evolution of Fender sunbursts and the impact ageing has had on the colors. Many feel that the early years had the most beautiful bursts prior to the introduction of bleaching of the wood and the use of Fullerplast.  I agree I love a 2-Tone on swamp ash the best and then a nice 3-tone next. Since I have a 2-tone I've been needing a 3-tone real bad.  :laughing7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23PFF3E58wE

Looks incredible!  It looks like you didn't tape off the neck pocket - is that again following Fender's practices from that era?

It looks like you didn't tape off the neck pocket - is that again following Fender's practices from that era?

Actually if I had finished it according to the methods they used in 59 I would have put nails in it and shot it on one side and flipped it over to shoot it on the nails to finish the other side. All 59's have finish in the neck pocket. But I am not trying to build a forgery I am doing a replica for myself base on a 59 theme, which was the year my wife was born. Besides I needed an excuse to build another guitar and a 3-Tone has been calling my name for some time.  :toothy11:

Very solid motivation IMO.  :icon_biggrin:  It's looking fantastic; really enjoying your work!

You don't need that much of an excuse to build another guitar.  If you had an extra set of strings around that need a guitar to go on, you're pretty much ready to go.  Right?  Well, that is what I tell myself...  I guess you can use that to justify your reasoning behind another guitar.  After talking it through it makes more sense.  First, strings need a home, then justify with, "I don't have a three tone burst in the 59 flavor."
Patrick

Tonar8353 said:
I am doing a replica for myself base on a 59 theme, which was the year my wife was born.

Does Mrs. Tonar know you're divulging this kind of information about her? Your reputation as a gentleman may get tarnished...    :)

I couldn't stand it; I had to do the pre-bolt together picture.  I did not push the neck into the pocket because in the past I have chipped lacquer off the edge pulling it back out when the finish is so fresh so I just laid it on. The back shot shows the birthday markings, which would be standard to a 59 Strat and since my wife’s birthday is October of 59 and this guitar is for her there it is. To bad she does not play guitar.  :toothy11:
I guess I'll have to play it for her.  :guitaristgif:
IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

That is a real beauty of a burst  :glasses9:  and an exclusive tribute to your better half.
I hope she appreciates your kindness in playing her guitar for her :evil4:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

That's an absolutely beautiful piece of work.

Y'know, I was born in '59, too. Perhaps it would be more fitting if I played it for her? I mean, that's the year Fidel Castro took over Cuba, the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was released, Alaska and Hawaii became states, gas cost 25 cents, the average car cost $2K, and the average house cost $12K. Coincidence? I don't think so.

WOW .. just stunning Tonar!

I wonder if my wife would like a '74 strat?  :icon_biggrin:

Back