59 Replica Strat

Watershed said:
Wow, I can't get over how thin the fingerboard is on the '64.
Almost a veneer.

Gorgeous neck by the way.

You should see the fingerboard of my '63 Tele.  It's perhaps thinner than that, and the nut width is less than 1 5/8".  When I had to have it refretted, I was worried that it might not survive it.

-Mark

I do not normally vintage tint necks that I'm doing for myself but since this is going to be a relic I tinted the headstock and the bottom end of the neck.  This will give you a great idea of how one coat of amber shellac with gloss lacquer over it gives maple a beautifully aged patina compared to the fresh un- finished maple.
IMG_7517.jpg

I got the dowel's in the body, re-profiled, (which was much less work with the total vintage Strat profile from Warmoth), and stained with the yellow.

I love the grain on this piece of alder.
IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
I got the dowel's in the body, re-profiled, (which was much less work with the total vintage Strat profile from Warmoth), and stained with the yellow.

IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

Whoa - that's ALDER?  Dayum!  That grain looks like ash!

bagman67 said:
Tonar8353 said:

IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

Whoa - that's ALDER?  Dayum!  That grain looks like ash!

... is that even alder

Man this looks good. I can't wait to see it finished. I can't wait till the day I can play a really nicely set-up strat.

Pay attention, boys and girls. That's a sure sign of professional top-grade prep work: the sealer looks as good as a finish coat.

Burstday.
IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

First coat of clear for the flow coat of the colors.
IMG_7727.jpg

This is the guitar that I finally decided to use as my color sample.  It was a very pristine early 59 that was on the Antiques Road Show.
59StratWhiteGuard.jpg

Very Very cool!

It's interesting that you put the red over the black.  I would have thought the black over the red.

But, as you all know, I don't know jack about finishing.

I would have thought the same thing. Start with the lighter colors, and gradually work your way out to the darker ones.

Red over black is vintage correct for Fenders.  If you look at vintage finishes you can clearly see the black showing up through the red and you never see red under the black where there is arm wear. The arm wear goes through clear to red to black to yellow stain to wood.  Good catch Trevor and a very important detail in getting a correct looking sunburst finish. 

Tonar8353 said:
Red over black is vintage correct for Fenders.  If you look at vintage finishes you can clearly see the black showing up through the red and you never see red under the black where there is arm wear. The arm wear goes through clear to red to black to yellow stain to wood.  Good catch Trevor and a very important detail in getting a correct looking sunburst finish. 

That's why you ARE the master with this stuff Tonar ... lookin' great, as usual  :icon_thumright:

Back