'51 Tele P influenced 4-string - black or tort pickguard?

SkuttleFunk

so what do you think works better on this antique white body with Maple/Birdseye neck - black or this cool brownish tort?

Black (sorry about the flash glare)
RGW-VRB51PN4-BlackPickguard.jpg

Brownish tort
RGW-VRB51PN4-BTortPickguard.jpg

I keep flip flopping between the vintage look and something more stylishly modern. I have a black on order, but I'm not against keeping it for stock and ordering a tort pickguard instead

I'll have this wrapped up as soon as W's '51 Tele P control plates are back in stock next month

thanks for your input!

all the best,

R

I've said it before, I'll say it again.....I love the Tortoise.  In this case in particular, I think it is way cooler than boring old black.  Yeah black is more vintage, but you build custom basses, not vintage ones!!!

thanks for all the feedback so far, and for confirming that the tort is the way to go. looks like I'll be ordering a tort guard here when the '51 Tele P control plates are back in stock

I had considered a gold annodized pickguard, but I don't know of a source that makes them in the '51P style let alone one in '51P plus a radiused heel type neck pocket. since I made this an extended 21-fret fretboard I'm sure the square heel of a vintage '51P guard would be well hidden, but there's still the issue of finding a '51P pickguard in a gold annodized finish

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
thanks for all the feedback so far, and for confirming that the tort is the way to go. looks like I'll be ordering a tort guard here when the '51 Tele P control plates are back in stock

I had considered a gold annodized pickguard, but I don't know of a source that makes them in the '51P style let alone one in '51P plus a radiused heel type neck pocket. since I made this an extended 21-fret fretboard I'm sure the square heel of a vintage '51P guard would be well hidden, but there's still the issue of finding a '51P pickguard in a gold annodized finish

all the best,

R

You might check with WDMusic, they do custom pickguards to order from your tracing, which is where I got that custom pickguard made for my '64 Melody Maker.

Back