4 conductor + ground?! (help!)

juliancs

I'm getting some WCR wound, and I told Jim that I wanted to have the selecter go neck-inner coils of each-bridge. He suggested I go with 4-conductor and ground. I trust him and he's a busy man, and so I;m wondering - what does that mean?! I know nothing about electronics. Cheers!

Braided two conductor hook up allows series operation only(humbucking!) whereas four conductor hook up allows advanced wiring options such as series/parallel, in/out of phase and coil splitting.

four conductor: Individual termination of the start and finish leads from each coil of a humbucking pickup to a cable with four separate conductors plus a shield. This allows extremely versatile switching arrangements such as series/parallel, coil split, in/out of phase and so on.

from here:
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/faq.html#23

Good stuff, thanks mate. Don't show me the BKP site, I might start thinking twice about mine!!

Cheers  :hello2:

Bare Knucks are the way to go.....

I'm getting me the PGBlues set, for that old skool Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac thing (as heard on 'Need your love so bad' - great tune).  :glasses9:

I'm going for a pair of Icebuckers from WCR. They are Jon Schaffer's custom ones and his tone and songwriting are one of my biggest influences so.... :party07:
http://www.wcrguitar.com/icebucker_clips.html

jimh said:
Bare Knucks are the way to go.....

I'm getting me the PGBlues set, for that old skool Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac thing (as heard on 'Need your love so bad' - great tune).  :glasses9:

does it have the mag flip out of phase deal happening?

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-pgblues.html -  answered my own question...

The bridge and neck humbuckers in this set are wound permanently out of phase with each other and are available in nickel, chrome or gold plated covers.

Yep. Permanently O-o-P. 

I'm not too fussed about the whole switching, series/para, coil split, out of phase thing (yeah, I know these out of phase).
I cant be bothered with thinking about where my switches are at mid-song.  All I need is Neck -Middle/both- Bridge.

Gold ones for my Gibson.

jimh said:
Yep. Permanently O-o-P. 

I'm not too fussed about the whole switching, series/para, coil split, out of phase thing (yeah, I know these out of phase).
I cant be bothered with thinking about where my switches are at mid-song.  All I need is Neck -Middle/both- Bridge.

Gold ones for my Gibson.

I tend to go that direction too. If i wanna have a twangy sound, I roll off my volume. if I wanna have a more quacky sound, I use the middleposition, and turn down volume on the bridgepickup a bit. easy as that.

those WRC's look great! but I still think i'm gonna stick with my favored BKP's. the price for me is just a bit better. I have to pay 23% tax and shipping. that makes BKP's for me cheaper than WRC's. I can imagine though that WRC's are cheaper for you guys who live in the states :)

Back