3d and/or 2D Viewer

Wana_make_a_guitar

Hey, i had an idea, it might work, might not, but I think warmoth should have a Google sketchup 3D image viewer for each guitar body (or on one file, put both a flat and carved top guitar) For people to see every side of the guitar (including neck!).

If that can not be accomplished, a 2D program like kisekae ( Search it on Google!) custom guitar builder with both a top and side(maybe back) view for the guitar(including neck!).

For both programs you can choose stuff like P-up holes, Different bridges, nuts, tuners, knobs and stuff.

On both the 2D and 3D programs there should be wood colours and different paint finishes.

Seems Awesome to me. :toothy11:

Awesome indeed. Might take a lot of webmastery computery work though. But how cool would that be?!

Please keep in mind Warmoth does not sell completed instruments or kits.  You seem to be asking for a design tool for completed instruments.

Not completed, using parts and componets that warmoth make and sell to see overall how a full, or any part of a guitar would look like before selling..

Die?

I said like, not exactally like it!  :eek: (or called that! it'd be called Warmoth Make-Your-Own! and it wouldn't have any custom url crap unless its for paint and finishes)

2 problems with it, a guitar viewer thingy would be confusing to customers who are already easily confused. warmoth gets enough complaints from people that can't get it through there heads that it is a parts company not a guitar company. you start showing simulations of finished guitars and people will only hate them more when they find out they need to pay someone to put it together because they are not mechanically inclined.

now for warmoths sake, it would also present a problem with copy rights and licence issues with fender. i mean with the way the legal system works (very f@%*ed up) how could they hold the position that they are a replacment parts company that sells fender compatible parts that are intended to be used on fender guitars when they provide a feature on the site that shows entire guitars built from warmoth parts. the copy right info was posted here before and it is not forgiving of kit form guitars. it might only take a small move towards suggesting that they sell full guitars and warmoth will be preasured to stop selling fender headstocks even if the guitars are sold in individual parts, it is just risky from a buisiness standpoint. and it wouldn't be the first time a big name asked them to remove a product from the line.

This would be cool, but it would represent a ton of work and money for Warmoth to implement.  They would need a financial motive to do the work, for example, they would need proof that it would sell substantially more parts than they are currently selling.  The sales would have to increase enough to both offset the cost of development and maintenance of the technology, and to realize additional profits at some point.

It would be very hard to make a convincing case that this would achieve those objectives.

JBD

Well from what i now start to understand, warmoth would need to have confirmed proof of an increase of purchase and would need to actually have to sell completed guitars for this to work.

Damn that sucks, i'll just keep to making my own warmoth models on Google sketchup.  :-\

Here's another thing i just found out.

Warmoths logo's font is sitting right next to me on my mums horse riding ribbons. The Font is exactly the same as used in the Warmoth logo

USACG has the kisekae running on their website - but they aren't licensed by Fender. That's your answer, pretty much. T
here are plenty of tools out there to help you imagine the build, and I believe there's some floating around here - http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=678.0
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2951.0
I checked the Frank Montag site (GREAT LP builder) but it's down or removed - bummer.

At one point I was considering making a Kisekae-type application that could pull in pictures from the Warmoth site.  But I don't really have time to write something like that now, and I just got my LP so I'm satisfied for the time being.

But a bass is next, and Kisekae doesn't do basses... hmm....

dbw- your right on, someone could easily (that is someone who knows how to do stuff like this) build a website, import pics of necks and bodies and piece them together.

The hardest thing i think, would be writting the program to align the Neck to the body, and make any small adjustments so that the scale matches, then scale down real pics of pickguards and other hardware to overlay.

A website like this would get a ton of hits.....from us

Alfang said:
dbw- your right on, someone could easily (that is someone who knows how to do stuff like this) build a website, import pics of necks and bodies and piece them together.

The hardest thing i think, would be writting the program to align the Neck to the body, and make any small adjustments so that the scale matches, then scale down real pics of pickguards and other hardware to overlay.

A website like this would get a ton of hits.....from us
Yeah, that would be cool. But how about if you could pull some pics from the showcase of bodies and necks and slot them together, and have someone update the program as things are added to the showcase. That would be a bit of a a hassle to do, but It would sure be awesome.

Back