35" scale Gecko compared to 34" Deluxe Jazz 5

Dolando

Hello,

I've been looking at a Small Gecko 5 string fretless, and I just wanted to hear some experiences with the larger 35" scale. I'm 5' 7" and i don't have the biggest of hands, but i have been told the feel can all depend on the bass construction. My Warmoth Deluxe 5 I have just built is really comfortable, and I may just got for another in that shape, but i really like the look of the Gecko. So if anyone has experience compared to the deluxe jazz it would be appreciated.

Also, I'm looking at getting an unlined fretless and thought it may help my intonation to have two 34" scale basses. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam

Doesn't anybody have any information on how these two basses compare, or if you've had any trouble with the larger scale gecko?

Many thanks. :)

Generally people go for the 35" scale for a bit more tension on the B string.  But I have found that getting a set of strings that gives me that tension on a 34" scale to be easier.  The Geckos are cool, but it is the only shape that uses the 35" scale.  So if your heart wants a different bass, well. . .  I love the P Bass shape, and the Jazz necks, so that is more or less what I built.  I do have big hands, and I guess I am odd because scale lengths and changing them doesn't seem to effect me much.  I just don't notice.  My 27" 7 string is harder to play acrobatic metal riffs, but a little work and everything falls into place.  As far as the fretless, that is just work to get the intonation, but the scale lengths could make it a bit goofy.  I have never dealt with it.  Good luck
Patrick

Thanks for that information. What gauge strings of you use on your 34" to get the same tension? I usually use 45-130 nickel strings.

I think that's the way to go really. If I was getting a fretted I'd go for a gecko, but might go for a G5, or deluxe jazz 5 with a warmoth deluxe neck.

I have three words for ya.......LOVE MY GECKOS!! I have three 32" short scale 4 strings and decided, " Hey, let's go 35" scale!" I now play my Geckos out exclusively. The design is so nice. If you do any higher fret playing, (15-24) the cutaways are fantastic. My Geckos are Medium 5's, fretted. I use one for regular tuning and the other is down 1/2 step. Both have Seymour Duncan Music Man active pickups. They literally THUNDER out the mains. It makes me feel quite manly. I have had G5's in the past. The Gecko doesn't feel any larger to me. I think the Gecko hangs just a little differently, so the neck doesn't feel like it's longer. If you are looking for a fretless, I don't think the scale is going to bother you. I have a 32" short scale fretless, and there is a learning curve to playing fretless, regardless of the scale. My fretless neck is lined, which helps. It takes a bit to get used to playing where the fret is supposed to be, rather than that huge space otherwise known as 'somewhere behind the fret!' It's amazing how just rolling your finger from side to side helps you tune as you go. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• Gecko Twins-2.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 254
  • FretlessH.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 255
Thanks for that. I do like the gecko. I think I'm going to go for the gecko small as I prefer the smaller string spacing. I know ill have some work to do on a fretless, so not bothered about that. So you reckon going from a 34" scale to a 35" scale isn't a huge jump?

What's the finish on your jazz? A gecko in that would look a but nice. :)

Back