30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee on Chambered Bodies?

Jim_H

So, I just got this email from Warmoth today.  I have a feeling it's going to cost me a lot of money.

It seems they are offering a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on Chambered bodies.  Buy it, bolt it on, string it up.. if you don't like it, return it.

http://www.warmoth.com/Emails/Newsletter/2012-Newsletters/October/newsletter.htm

My only question is..

Do they take trade ins ? :p

I'm guessing they won't get a lot of folks trying to return any.

I think chambered bodies are like SS frets - there are lots of "experts" out there who have never used them who assure people they will ruin everything. :doh:

drewfx said:
I'm guessing they won't get a lot of folks trying to return any.

I think chambered bodies are like SS frets - there are lots of "experts" out there who have never used them who assure people they will ruin everything. :doh:

I agree. A chambered/hollow body is a wonderful thing, and there's nothing to dislike about them. They're lighter while retaining the original characteristics of the base wood. What could possibly be wrong with that? Also, there are many untutored opinions trying to justify personal choices. In semi-truth, it's "I bought a solid body because I couldn't afford a chambered one they sound better".

I have a number of chambered, hollow and solid bodies here of my own, and have worked with many others. I've found that it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to tell the difference between them through an amp without giving the majority of the credit to other subsystems such as the neck, pickups/controls and amp. For that matter, there are a number of variables involved, some of which are impossible to change definitively to allow the collection of objective data. For example, woods certainly won't cooperate; every piece is as individual as a fingerprint.

Indeed. Weight is reasonably important to me anyway, so chambering is just great.

I'd love to get a chambered body from extra light wood. I have a chambered tele body that weighs in at 4lb5oz, which is about normal for a tele isn't it (t has all three contours)? And I have a solid strat body at 3lb10oz, which is just extra light ash.

The chambered jazzmaster body I got is pretty phenomenal.  It rings when you knock on it, and is louder when played unplugged than any solid body guitar I've ever heard.
Whether that translates to a better sound plugged in is probably subject for a lot of debate (if I were to search for such threads). 
Funny, but the tuners and pickups weigh almost as much as the wood.

JM-on-rug-9-20-12_zpsd2c495b8.jpg

Jumble Jumble said:
Indeed. Weight is reasonably important to me anyway, so chambering is just great.

I'd love to get a chambered body from extra light wood. I have a chambered tele body that weighs in at 4lb5oz, which is about normal for a tele isn't it (t has all three contours)? And I have a solid strat body at 3lb10oz, which is just extra light ash.

I have similar situations. A solid Alder Strat body that I thought might float if I let go of it, and a chambered Ash Strat body that was still 4lbs+. But, in the end, they always come in between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs., which isn't a great deal of difference. My last Tele is the lightest of the lot. It's a hollow Mahogany with an Afra neck, and it's only 6.15lbs. That's with brass hardware and Schaller locking tuners. Hang that on your neck and you barely know it's there. You wouldn't think a pound or two would make a difference, but it does. I don't know how Les Paul (or bass) players manage. Any one I've ever had was killer. Hang one of those on for any length of time and you knew you were carrying something.

I don't know if I've said so before, but that Jazzmaster is the whip. That's how they should be built. Good pickups, good bridge, good controls, attractive finish on good woods... WHERE'S MINE?

Cagey said:
I don't know if I've said so before, but that Jazzmaster is the whip. That's how they should be built. Good pickups, good bridge, good controls, attractive finish on good woods... WHERE'S MINE?

Might be VERY hard to replicate, if Ken isn't winding pickups.  (and THANKS!  I feel pretty good about it as a first time build).

Back