#3 A Work in Progress

For some reason, when I just saw the closeups of the headstock with no scale or context, I was thinking it was a Star body.  So glad I was wrong.  The dye transitions and slight black bursting on the red really set it off.  Over the top Maple figure is gaudy to begin with, so if you're gonna go there, you really gotta go there.  Excellent concept on your part, but really got to give props to the Warmoth guys because I know it looks better than you envisioned. 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
For some reason, when I just saw the closeups of the headstock with no scale or context, I was thinking it was a Star body.  So glad I was wrong.  The dye transitions and slight black bursting on the red really set it off.  Over the top Maple figure is gaudy to begin with, so if you're gonna go there, you really gotta go there.  Excellent concept on your part, but really got to give props to the Warmoth guys because I know it looks better than you envisioned.  

The Warmoth guys get all the props for an awesome execution of my concept. Couldn't be happier with it. With solid colors you pretty much know what the end result will look like, but on something like this, there's always the variables in how the quilt will change once carved, how it will really take the dyes, how the fades will blend, etc. And with the headstock shape being something new, it was an unknown until the parts arrived. But all I could think when opening the boxes was, "Oh hell yes!!".

With the name "Burn Unit" already taken, what are your thoughts on this one?

-Shriner Burns Institute
-3rd Degree (it's also your 3rd)

Well, since it came after BURN UNIT, I've decided on AFTER BURNER.  :headbang1:

Death by Uberschall said:
AutoBat said:
not exactly the fretboard i would have gone with, but the headstock & bodywork sure make it a little bit of awesome.

I'm sure many would say I should have gone with ebony or some wildly streaked exotic, but I'm really loving maple boards these days. To me, maple is the best all around fret board. Plus, on this guitar, the maple really "pops" against the gloss black and other colors.
I agree, maple has always been my fave....Still is, never been much for RW or ebony, those boards are like assholes, everyones got one....Maple seems to be more sparce, I think because of the need for a finish.... :dontknow:

I bet the guys at Warmoth were reluctant to send that one out the door. 

I can see this scenario playing out in the W office " hey guys, come check this one out"  the whole W staff standing there with Jaws on the floor, " Holly Crap"

Alfang said:
I bet the guys at Warmoth were reluctant to send that one out the door.  

I can see this scenario playing out in the W office " hey guys, come check this one out"  the whole W staff standing there with Jaws on the floor, " Holly Crap"

I did get an email or two from some Warmoth employee members here, basically saying, "WOW, I just saw your new body and it's badass!!"  :eek:ccasion14:

I just shit a brick. I haven't even heard what that guitar sounds like and it already has had the effect of a laxative and constipation combined.

I did get an email or two from some Warmoth employee members here, basically saying, "WOW, I just saw your new body and it's badass!!"  :eek:ccasion14:

Couldn't have said it better myself ... that baby's gonna ROCK!!!!  :headbang1:

81/85  :icon_thumright:

You done the switcharoo yet with the secret mod of the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge.  I figure you'll have atleast 3 with similar body woods, necks, and harware for an objective evaluation.

Gabe said:
I just shite a brick. I haven't even heard what that guitar sounds like and it already has had the effect of a laxative and constipation combined.

In that case, maybe DbU should call the guitar "midnight chilli"?  :laughing7:

81/85  :icon_thumright:

You done the switcharoo yet with the secret mod of the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge.  I figure you'll have atleast 3 with similar body woods, necks, and harware for an objective evaluation.

Never tried it, or the 18v mod either. May have to try it one day.  :icon_thumright:

very nice! I for one like the looks of the flame maple  fb!
that will look amazing on stage!  make sure to wear matching "on fire" pants with it!
ingear_pants-kodp43.jpg

Back