#3 A Work in Progress

O.K., O.k., o.k.  I have resisted participation in this Tom Foolery; up until now...
I realize that resistance is futile... :doh:
Sorry, but all I can say is wooooooooooooow.....
GOTY ineed  :kewlpics: :rock-on:

Killer axe, man! the flames look amazing on thet maple, and props to whoever designed the headstock (you?) Very cool that it goes beyond cutting out an outline shape and adds the reddish facet!

B3Guy said:
Killer axe, man! the flames look amazing on thet maple, and props to whoever designed the headstock (you?) Very cool that it goes beyond cutting out an outline shape and adds the reddish facet!

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback.  :eek:ccasion14:

Yes, the headstock was designed/drawn out by me, and sent to RobR @ Warmoth for approval from Ken Warmoth. It is my understanding that Ken W. cut and shaped the headstock for me. They did a great job with it and the color scheme.

That is the greatest flame motif I've ever seen on a guitar.  Usually folks just try to mimic rot rods, but this takes it to a whole new level in how it complements the quilted maple underneath.  As far as trying to mimic flames, I think this looks much more like flames & fire than a hot rod could ever hope to.  Sean and the paint crew really outdid theirselves on this one!

Wow. Flamed quilt. What will get thought up next? Incredible piece. I'm impressed.

not exactly the fretboard i would have gone with, but the headstock & bodywork sure make it a little bit of awesome.

AutoBat said:
not exactly the fretboard i would have gone with, but the headstock & bodywork sure make it a little bit of awesome.

I'm sure many would say I should have gone with ebony or some wildly streaked exotic, but I'm really loving maple boards these days. To me, maple is the best all around fret board. Plus, on this guitar, the maple really "pops" against the gloss black and other colors.

Looking closer at the body finish, it appears to be a red dye/burst underneath then the amber dye over the top - or vice versa. LOTS of work involved with that sort of finish I'd imagine, not to mention the precision required to shape the flames and also the edges of the body.....two different shades .....then the back in the blackest gloss.....man that IS a very complex job they did for you!

Did you sit down and think, "Mmmm what would drive the Warmoth finishing guys nuts?", because that job would have to rate up high with them...and all over a very expensive quilt top, just to keep the pressure on not to stuff it up.

Whoever did this job deserves the employee of the month award for getting it soooooo right, as it was a disaster waiting to happen. :icon_thumright:

OzziePete said:
Looking closer at the body finish, it appears to be a red dye/burst underneath then the amber dye over the top - or vice versa. LOTS of work involved with that sort of finish I'd imagine, not to mention the precision required to shape the flames and also the edges of the body.....two different shades .....then the back in the blackest gloss.....man that IS a very complex job they did for you!

Did you sit down and think, "Mmmm what would drive the Warmoth finishing guys nuts?", because that job would have to rate up high with them...and all over a very expensive quilt top, just to keep the pressure on not to stuff it up.

Whoever did this job deserves the employee of the month award for getting it soooooo right, as it was a disaster waiting to happen. :icon_thumright:

Not sure of how it went on since I wasn't there. But I believe the yellow dye was applied first, then masked off with the flame stencil, transparent red sprayed over that and then highlighted with dark shades to give it the 3D effect. Then the black gloss which makes it all "pop". I agree that was complex, I think it was 4 or 5 times into the paint booth. RobR or the painter can chime in and add to the details of it if they like.

I was actually surprised they were willing to do it for me. I started talking to RobR about this project sometime late last year. The biggest delay for me was finding the right top for it. One day while browsing Warmoth's site I found the piece you see here. I immediately called RobR and asked him to grab it while we finalized the plans. Then it came down to Ken W and the paint department giving the go-ahead on the headstock and paint work.  

I think you should change it up a little bit and go with a pair of NOS EMG 58's in ivory. I happen to know a guy that could hook you up. :icon_biggrin: :guitaristgif:

pabloman said:
I think you should change it up a little bit and go with a pair of NOS EMG 58's in ivory. I happen to know a guy that could hook you up. :icon_biggrin: :guitaristgif:

Too late, already got my 81/85 combo. Maybe next time. :icon_jokercolor:

Back