25'' Scale Conversion Neck

Kostas

I'm a fan of PRS sound and playability but they are pricy. I would like to see the 25'' conversion neck as an option, I like the in-between sound (Gibson-Fender). More clarity than the 24 3/4" less tension than the 25.5'' scale.

Is it availiable as a custom option? Anybody has fit a 25'' conversion neck on a Warmoth body?

I have a Warmoth Les Paul body and although this guitar will be finished in 2009 I'm thinking of the options I have. I have already a Gibson SG and two Warmoths (strat & tele) so I'd like something different. I tend more on the PRS (25'' scale, Warmoth headstock) than the Gibson.

I like PRS stuff as well but was under te impression that the extra 1/4" over the standard Gibson scale length didnt do much to the sound or playability..just a marketing thing by PRS.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
I like PRS stuff as well but was under te impression that the extra 1/4" over the standard Gibson scale length didnt do much to the sound or playability..just a marketing thing by PRS.

Brian

Definitely not. I have played with PRS for many years, it's not Gibson. It's a delicate sound, I like it both for cleans & overdrive.

Kostas said:
I'm a fan of PRS sound and playability but they are pricy. I would like to see the 25'' conversion neck as an option, I like the in-between sound (Gibson-Fender). More clarity than the 24 3/4" less tension than the 25.5'' scale.

It's funny, my Carvin is a 25" and the string tension is actually HIGHER than on my warmoth or my ibanez - both of which are 25.5"... Not trying to disagree, but I personally found it odd. That said, the sound of a PRS has, IMHO, more to do with their pickups and wood (among other things) than it's 25" scale length. Playability I can't argue though, because that 1/2" difference is certainly noticable.

Just wondering, but wouldn't different degrees of neck/body joints also figure into string tension?

DanDeTora said:
[It's funny, my Carvin is a 25" and the string tension is actually HIGHER than on my warmoth or my ibanez - both of which are 25.5"... Not trying to disagree, but I personally found it odd. That said, the sound of a PRS has, IMHO, more to do with their pickups and wood (among other things) than it's 25" scale length. Playability I can't argue though, because that 1/2" difference is certainly noticable.

I have a different opinion. PRS is very Gibson based, the woods are the traditional Gibson woods: Mahogany/maple + rosewood. The pickups are humbuckers. Maybe they do a more careful selection of woods but still the same woods. The clarity PRS guitars and Gibson has not, comes from the different scale in my opinion. Some will say the coil splitting too but I have done it in my Gibson, (parallel coils & out of phase) and it's not close.

I started this thread in the suggestion box because for me it's an interesting & important feature. I wish Warmoth would give this option as standard or as a custom option with just a few extra money. It's good to have options and to get away from the tradition (Fender & Gibson). I hate tradition when it comes to custom instruments...

I always wondered why my Fender Talon III plays so nice! Turns out it is a 25" scale guitar!

"The clarity PRS guitars and Gibson has not, comes from the different scale in my opinion."

Assuming you're speaking of typical PRS models with mahogany/rosewood necks, the difference is actually MUCH higher quality mahogany and better pickups.

If Warmoth would decide to do a 25" scale neck, they'd probably have to wait until they fill that CNC programmer position job that's been open for a while.

I almost broke down and bought a PRS before I started building Warmoths; damned if I can tell any difference in playing between a 24.75 and 25" scale neck, given the same bridge setup...

i'll bet if you build two otherwise identical guitars changing only the scale length you find the diferences between even the gibson and fender lengths more suttle than you'd think. yeah it does make a difference even a gibson vs a prs is different but how much really? two pieces of wood cut from the same tree at the same time and dried together can sound diferent.
i beleive CB once said his goncolo alves necked tele sounded more les paul than a les paul. that guitar has a fender scale!
gibson and prs wireing is totally diferent, the bridge is diferent, the wood quality is diferent. the amount of glue in the neck joint is diferent, the pickups are diferent. the list goes on. if you want a more prs sound i think either scale availible will do just fine. adjust something else to compensate. there is nothing magical about any one scale and i can't think of anything that would warrent yet another scale option. this would mean a new program for the scaloped option and each one of the inlay options. that can be alot of work.

Well my $0.02...

The only thing I notice when I go from my Gibson (24 3/4) to my Schecter (25 1/2) is that it's harder to make wide stretches... :tard:

DiMitriR33 said:
... there is nothing magical about any one scale and i can't think of anything that would warrent yet another scale option. this would mean a new program for the scaloped option and each one of the inlay options. that can be alot of work.

I agree there is no magic in any component in a guitar. About the scale: You either feel it/hear it or not, I cannot describe it. There is a difference though, Paul Reed Smith didn't choose the 25" scale by accident. You have both of the two different worlds. As for the programming I don't understand what you mean. Warmoth is a company who gets paid for everything they sell. Yes, it costs to program something new but they will be paid when they sell it. If they were thinking like you, they would have only one back shape, one body shape etc. It is good to have new things, more options. Warmoth is a parts company, not a guitar company. The more options the better.

If you want a 25" scale neck; SOMEONE has to do the CNC programming so the machine can physically manufacture it. That position at Warmoth has been open for a while, and it may not be possible for them to set up any new machine programming until it's filled.

Did you think there's a workshop full of guitar elves with hand tools?

jackthehack said:
If you want a 25" scale neck; SOMEONE has to do the CNC programming so the machine can physically manufacture it. That position at Warmoth has been open for a while, and it may not be possible for them to set up any new machine programming until it's filled.

Did you think there's a workshop full of guitar elves with hand tools?

1) I made a suggestion, this is the suggestion box. I didn't ask for a 25" neck to be delivered in front of my door tomorrow morning.

2) I know what it needs to be done regarding the CNC machine.

3) I don't know about you, I don't believe in elves.

As another PRS guy I can attest that the 25" scale has it's own unique feel. Warmoth should definitely make this option available as soon as possible. I'm seriously considering going to another company for a 25" neck but they can't deliver a solid rosewood neck until August so I have some time to think it over.

as far as the argument that broke out isn't the entire point of building your own guitar to obsessively go over every detail. Cheers,

DiMitriR33 said:
i'll bet if you build two otherwise identical guitars changing only the scale length you find the diferences between even the gibson and fender lengths more suttle than you'd think. yeah it does make a difference even a gibson vs a prs is different but how much really? two pieces of wood cut from the same tree at the same time and dried together can sound diferent.
i beleive CB once said his goncolo alves necked tele sounded more les paul than a les paul. that guitar has a fender scale!
gibson and prs wireing is totally diferent, the bridge is diferent, the wood quality is diferent. the amount of glue in the neck joint is diferent, the pickups are diferent. the list goes on. if you want a more prs sound i think either scale availible will do just fine. adjust something else to compensate. there is nothing magical about any one scale and i can't think of anything that would warrent yet another scale option. this would mean a new program for the scaloped option and each one of the inlay options. that can be alot of work.

qft. I've got a les paul, twice, with a fender scale, and they sound more like a les paul than gibsons themselves.

in my experience, the scale length difference is more one of feel than of sound, like fret size. As far as its influence on tone, maybe it's one of those hundred things that contribute, like pot values and such.
But the difference in feel is very noticeable and part of the gibson thing is that 24.75 feel, along with a TOM or bigsby, humbuckers, etc.
I'd like to see a 25" neck too, I've never owned a PRS but have lusted after them quite a bit. I think now that I'm a certified W addict that lusting after PRS is over. I don't think 25 and 24.75 are very different in terms of feel, so I don't think this is all that big of a deal, though.

Kostas said:
3) I don't know about you, I don't believe in elves.

You shut your dirty mouth!  I KNOW elves are real!  Where do you think ear wax comes from?  huh? HUH?  It drips off their candles into your ear when they come in the bedroom at night to suck the nasty evil out of your body so good boys don't TOUCH THEMSELVES!!!

:icon_jokercolor:

Well, I think this is a good idea, and just remembering, Warmoth do only 25" in their 7 strings neck.. why don't offer it in 6 strings too??

Back