25 key controllers - happy?

S

swarfrat

I know everyone says get the biggest you can afford and fit. I'm in a really cramped space and wondering:

Is anyone happy with their 25 key controller and don't spend all your days wishing you'd got a 49 or bigger?
Does anyone have a 49 key and wish they hadn't been so bent on getting the bigger keyboard because its just a nuisance in your space?

The cost (difference) is not an issue, and I think I can make the 49 key fit, especially if I mount it under the desk on a keyboard arm or something (if its stable enough - doubtful on a lever that long). Would you have traded keys to get an extra feature, and what was it?

I have an Edirol 32 key with lots of knobs, sliders, and buttons. It fit where I needed it to at the time and works for recording a bit at a time with my limited keyboard skills. What features you need depends on what you will use it for. I like having all the knobs, etc. but don't see the use of the drum machine type pads I've seen on some when you have a bunch of velocity sensitive keys already.

When I get around to learning how to really play, I'll want 61 keys at least.

I had a 61 key decades ago (JX8) . But I've always found computers and musical instruments physically  cumbersome together. Basically I just want something velocity sensitive that I can bang out drum and horn parts.  I've pondered buttons but I think I want to stomp on my transport controls (thinking maybe the Behringer FCB1010 for that - had planned an arduino project for it, but at that price point, w/ expression pedals too and already built... not worth it.)

digital keys stuff is waay overrated. everyone's in love with their Rolands and MIDI and bla bla bla . . . . gimme a Hammond any day (you can get a M3 for $50, or an L for free, or if you have $$$, a B3/A100/C3). Even a free L-series sounds mazing. sure, you can't gig with it, but they have so much more tone than any digital anything. Or go with a Rhodes, I would die to have one of those. (Of course, I'm a little biased when it comes to my vintage keys)  :icon_thumright:

Yup, totally agree, but I aint got room for a B-3 and a horn section in my spare bedroom, not to mention their willingness to play the same 30 second song snippet 300 times in a row while you're working on something.

I need some kind of velocity sensitive note entry device. Honestly, I think I could learn to live with QWERTY if it was velocity sensitive. I've thought about guitar stuff, but it's just not cost effective for me right now.

I bought a USB 49 key to use with my iPad2 and wound up taking it back and exchanging it for a 61....

I've got a two octave Oxygen8 but fnd it limiting & would rather have at least a 49er, even though I can't play piano.

I don't think 25 is enough for anything other than left-hand/bass-parts type stuff.

I think 37 (used on some synths) is the minimum for one-handed/soloing stuff, and 49 is the minimum for any kind of serious 2-handed work.

yep, all a 25 would be good for is some faux Rhodes Piano Bass, or to MIDI some cheap drum beat. But for those things, it would do great, and save space and weight.

I think I'll go 39 after all - I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be so much 'limiting' as perhaps 'guiding' - basically I want it for entering drum parts and writing horn parts (not just banging out brass patches). Trying to focus on keeping it stripped down to my general idea, and well golly gee most horns (and other instruments) have a range of more or less two octaves.  But yeah, if I clean off my desk, I can fit a 39.

One of the reasons I'd been tempted by the 25 was not just the size but the fact that I can get an Oxygen 25 but probably only a Keyrig in 39. I was actually tempted by the Axiom 25 w/ aftertouch and all  until I realized I can swing the Keyrig with only a minor fight but the Axiom would create a major fight and more importantly - I'd rather have that 24.75" Wenge/Ebony no inlay boatneck.

Stop *ick*ng around and get the big kahuna:

keystation88es.jpg

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation88es.html

swarfrat said:
I think I'll go 39 after all - I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be so much 'limiting' as perhaps 'guiding' - basically I want it for entering drum parts and writing horn parts (not just banging out brass patches). Trying to focus on keeping it stripped down to my general idea, and well golly gee most horns (and other instruments) have a range of more or less two octaves.  But yeah, if I clean off my desk, I can fit a 39.

One of the reasons I'd been tempted by the 25 was not just the size but the fact that I can get an Oxygen 25 but probably only a Keyrig in 39. I was actually tempted by the Axiom 25 w/ aftertouch and all  until I realized I can swing the Keyrig with only a minor fight but the Axiom would create a major fight and more importantly - I'd rather have that 24.75" Wenge/Ebony no inlay boatneck.

I have an M-Audio Midiman 61 that I bought specifically to do what you're talking about, and I also had space problems. But, a little willingness goes a long way. You can make anything work if you have to. The real issue is: are you a keyboard player? If not, it doesn't matter what you get. It's not as easy as one might think to knock out bass/drum/horn parts on a keyboard. Most guitar players can at least pretend to play bass, but a keyboard is a whole different animal. So, my controller collects dust in the closet.

You might be better off just making friends with a keyboard player, and letting him/her do what needs to be done. They'll have the muscle coordination and understanding of the instrument to save you months or even years of time, not to mention gobs of money and incomprehensible cable snarls. Plus, they're already dealing with the setup/storage/space issues as a matter of course.

I think for the moment I've decided to persue option C. None of the above.

I dabble in keyboards. I can bang out block chord inversions for most things I want, in a couple keys. I think though for the time being, I'm going to look into the offline polyphonic guitar-midi conversion thing. Looking into the CLAM stuff after taxes are done.

<-------- too lazy to read the whole thread. just giving my 2 cents

recently got a 25 key midi controller, to have something more mobile and versatile than my 88-key piano-weighted controller.  I find that unless you're always playing in the key of C, you will constantly find yourself wishing you had more than 25 keys to play any kind of melodic material. I have too many simple keyboard parts that I invariably cannot play on this controller because of the placement of the notes and the range of the parts. I would recommend getting something bigger.

I play piano. The small sizes are a non-starter unless you're only looking to use them for drum tracks and not playing. They're okay enough as a luxury, IF you have full-size also available.

Well, my thinking went like this:

Trombone - 2 octaves C to C'
Trumpet  2 octaves C' to C'' (add a third if you're dealing with really good players, but I was thinking writing parts that don't depend on access to stellar players.)

Etc...

But it's all moot for now while I dig into getting Clam/ChordData building.

I view those small itty bitty pianos as for playing basslines when your bassist is doing lines.... And by lines I mean snorting cocaine.

Other than that, get me a full sized piano.

I also recently acquired a iPad, and am considering getting an Akai Synthstation 49 to dock it in, & possibly retire my Alesis QS7. 
There are so many FREE apps out that you're bound to find something you really like and can use productively.
If you find that you've downloaded one that really isn't what your looking for, deleting the app from the iPad is easy.  Touch & hold the app you wish to delet, the screen will rattle, then you see a little "X" on the upper left of the app icon, then tap the"X" and the app is deleted.

I have a Novation 49SL Mk11 that is quite nifty. It has full sized keys but they are clunky . I use it to drive the Reason Synth and the control knobs and buttons are assignable thru Novation patch programs with Ableton Live. The Novation can become a Master Control Unit using this sort of patching & synchronising. I have only used it a few times to date and am impressed with it's versatility but that also means it is easy to get lost in what you are doing. When I start recording I will use it to do the synths, horns etc. plus use the buttons as a rhythm pad set. Seriously, I haven'tt had any time to work with it and relly need to spend a whole weekend getting down with it!

At the time of purchase I did have the option of buying the smaller 25 key unit but didn't go with it as I felt I would be forever pressing a change octave up or down button, if I was busy working on horn sections or string arrangement stuff.

Went w option D, Korg NanoPad for $30 shipped. Will use it for drums and transport controls. 

Back