24" scale lengths?

Thank you. I understand the theory. But what I would like to see is evidence it actually works when you do it, e.g. a photograph of a guitar made with a 24" neck and a 7/8 body with a tape measure running from the nut to the bridge. Warmouth explicitly says of the 7/8 body, "This body fits the Warmoth 7/8 Warhead neck only" so it's hard to take the leap without seeing it works in practice.

Good, glad the explanation helped.

@Logrinn many thanks you just posted what I was hoping that you might (y)

And, if you want to get WEIRD, the venerable ol' American manufachoo company PEAVEY, for reasons known only to themselves and their gods, pumped out a whole slew of 23-fret guitars (dats TWENTY-THREE FRETS) in the 1980's for which the Warmoth Mustang, Jag and "7/8" necks are a finely-intonating fit. You do have to redrill the mounting holes - I chose to do so on the BODY, surely a weird batwing thing like the Peavey Mystic can't be worth more than the....ummm. Gulp. People are paying $800 (dat's EIGHT-HUNDRED DOLLARS) for THAT weirdest of bottom-feeder junk? Like THAT?!? Well, except that what was WRONG with the Peev's in the first place was the toothpick necks, so... it stands to reaso... NO. It DON'T. The more normal-er of the Peaveys were the sorta stratty Patriots. Normal-ish? As long as you like Kahler trems. But and or, the Mantis and Lazer were even weirder than the Mystic. 24 inches is no big deal. I like electric mandolins for pete's sake, 14" scale, just slide around a lot - you're only OUT-OF TUNE when you stop somewhere.

First-time poster here! I'm really glad I found the UW forum, and this thread in particular, because I'm hoping to eventually put together a Warmoth guitar with a 24" scale neck. I had been leaning towards a Jaguar—I already have one and love it—but I am also missing out on the joys of playing a Telecaster, mainly because I just can't handle the 25.5" scale. Even my 24.6" Gretsch feels more challenging than I'd like, so after 20 years of playing (and a 10-year break before coming back to it), I think I've finally learned that short necks are the right necks for me.

I do have a question, though, for anyone willing to guess: if the Mustang/Jag necks do fit the 7/8 bodies (and, after reading this thread, I'm sure they do), and if Warmoth used to even state on their website that this combination works, why did they eventually remove the statement from their site and discourage the use 24" scale-length necks with the claim that only the Warhead 7/8 necks will fit? That claim has kept me from even looking at the 7/8 bodies until coming across this thread. Does anyone know?

It’s an edge case for sure. The reason is likely that some combinations of string gauges and bridges and setups can lead to the intonation not able to work out. I would guess that if you use 9s or 10s it’s likely fine

Reactions: dbk
Thanks to information from Logrinn, since 2018 I've built ten 24" scale Mustang neck + 7/8 Strat Warmoths and one Custom Tele Headstock 24" neck + 7/8 Tele Warmoth. That's 11 in total.

Four of the 7/8 Strat bodies have Floyd Rose Original Tremolos, two have Tone Pros tune-o-matic bridges, and the other four have Fender American 2-point tremolos. Various body and neck woods and pickup configurations.

All bodies are chambered and all necks have 1 5/8" nut widths and standard thin profiles with 6105 frets.

9s on all of them except one that is strung with 10s.

Perfect intonation and they all play great.

I do not have large hands. I own several 25.5" scale guitars which I can play, but I can play much more comfortably and confidently on a 24" scale neck. I am eternally grateful for Warmoth offering me the possibility to build these guitars and to Logrinn for making me aware that this was a viable combination. :)

Thanks to information from Logrinn, since 2018 I've built ten 24" scale Mustang neck + 7/8 Strat Warmoths and one Custom Tele Headstock 24" neck + 7/8 Tele Warmoth. That's 11 in total.

Four of the 7/8 Strat bodies have Floyd Rose Original Tremolos, two have Tone Pros tune-o-matic bridges, and the other four have Fender American 2-point tremolos. Various body and neck woods and pickup configurations.

All bodies are chambered and all necks have 1 5/8" nut widths and standard thin profiles with 6105 frets.

9s on all of them except one that is strung with 10s.

Perfect intonation and they all play great.

I do not have large hands. I own several 25.5" scale guitars which I can play, but I can play much more comfortably and confidently on a 24" scale neck. I am eternally grateful for Warmoth offering me the possibility to build these guitars and to Logrinn for making me aware that this was a viable combination. :)
Wow, that's incredible! Any thoughts on what worked best (e.g. bridge variations, pickups, etc.) for you?

Wow, that's incredible! Any thoughts on what worked best (e.g. bridge variations, pickups, etc.) for you?
They all sound good and have their strengths. I have 2 favorites. One is a chambered roasted alder 7/8 strat with roasted maple neck, SSS (2 Duncan SSL1s + Twang Banger) and Fender American trem. Very light and resonant. It is loud with a very strong and clear fundamental played unplugged and it sounds great through a cleanish amp. The other is identical except it has a light chambered basswood body and HSS (Dimarzio Cruiser, Area 58, AT-1). It does not have the same resonance, but sounds great plugged in, especially with more gain.

Oh wow, this business of the Mustang necks fitting the 7/8 bodies is a game-changer for me. I have wanted a 24" scale guitar with tremolo for the longest time, but I hate the Mustang and Jaguar bodies. I can live with a 7/8 Strat body.

Agreed! I don't care for Mustangs or Duo-Sonics, and while I love Jaguars, I don't really want to only play Jags for the rest of my life. The idea that I could also play 24" Teles, however, is pretty exciting.

You can put a 24" Warmoth Mustang neck on their 7/8 Strat and/or 7/8 Tele bodies without any modifications.
I have 2 such Strats and one Tele and they play perfectly. No "special" bridge route necessary.
In fact, this information used to be found - although a bit buried - on Warmoth's webpage, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

View attachment 59574

View attachment 59575
Nice works! I’m staring my 4th 7/8th body plus Mustang neck build. Just collecting lightest total weight build advice.

I had a 24 inch scale 24 fret guitar for a while. An oddity off rondo music. It was a little too small for me. My fingers felt crammed together on the upper frets. Gibson scale is as low as I can go.

Back