24 3/4 conversion strat take two

Nice grain on that one. The most interesting part of it is where the pickguard won't cover. Good job laying it out.

Thanks! I lost most of the light wood when I did the arm contour, but now the grain looks crazy there.  :laughing7:

EMG SAs? I don't know yet, most likely not.

Just by hand using a template. I had to talk myself out of using a chainsaw to rough out the tummy cut :laughing3:

I've seen that done with rotary rasps you can chuck into a drill motor, like these...

762.jpg
41XTQ92Z4HL.jpg

Allows you to chew through a lotta wood in a reasonable length of time and leave a surface that's more amenable to sanding.

I did the tummy cut on my tele with a 4 1/2" grinder and a flapper wheel, I think 80 grit. It took it down pretty quick, finished it with a DA palm sander to smooth it up, then hand sand.

rob91bob said:
I did the tummy cut on my tele with a 4 1/2" grinder and a flapper wheel, I think 80 grit. It took it down pretty quick, finished it with a DA palm sander to smooth it up, then hand sand.
I did mine the same way. It worked great.

Well, decided on a H-S-H configuration so I am waiting on a pickguard to get here. In the meantime I made a HB template. Instead of buying one.

I borrowed some parts from a guitar I threw together a while back, just to hear what it sounds like. Has a lot of sustain!  :headbang: The lows are tighter than the alder body on the right, and has a surprising amount of high end. Pickups are chinese crap but I know what they sound like, and this piece of wood is screaming for humbuckers!  :toothy12: I taped the pickguard on because every pickguard I buy seems to have holes in different places...

How cool to be able to compare the two woods like that. It has different tonal qualities with the same exact parts as the other. Nice to be able to hear the difference. :icon_thumright:

Looks really good, too.

fuzznut said:
I don't know, a Tele switch tip on a strat, is that even legal???  :laughing11:

Sure. It's what Strats came with for a long time, but with a different switch tip. 5 position switches didn't show up in factory Strats until sometime in the mid-'70s, ~20 years after the Strat's introduction. Prior to that, when you wanted mix pickups you had to jam something in the switch to hold it between positions off the detents. Not real practical, but a popular sound, which drove the change.

edit: I'm sorry, I didn't read the original post closely enough. You were talking about the tip, not the switch. Yeah. That's illegal, illegitimate and immoral :laughing7:

Back