2 vol 1 tone

RobSm

Hi.

I am considering using a 2 vol 1 tone circiut in a DIY guitar. Basically the circuit of a Fender Jazz bass.

Setting aside pot & cap values, is there anything in particular to do with the circuit itself that would make it unsuitable for guitars as opposed to basses?

I'm wiring up my new 7-string with this, well with a few series/parallel switches too. However, I also really like having a three-way switch to positively select one pickup or another at times. It's just one more hole.... In a passive circuit, there is some inevitable interaction between the "branches" of the circuit. It's OK - I'm really used to the Gibson four-knob setup, and I probably keep the three-way in the in-between position 70% of the time. But, it's real handy to be able to choose one or the other - different pre-set volumes etc. There's no downside to the added switch that I see.

i dont like it.

i've said this before and i'm saying it again. to wire volumes to be independant you must wire the output to an outer post and the p/u to the conter post. this varies p/u load. that doesn't seem like a problem but this is why a 250k pot and a 500k sound diferent. maybe not a big deel on a bass do to it's lower frequencies and higher output but on guitar you'll lose treble fast when the volume is rolled off.

also the guitar will be more noisey at low volumes when it will be a bigger problem. normal guitar volume operation shorts the output to ground at zero volume eliminating most noise. a lower vaue pot can help this so maybe consider active p/u's. also good sheilding is a must! normally i think it's over rated and don't put in the extra effort as noise hasn't been a big problem in my guitars but in this case do anything you can.
alot of jazz basses i've seen can get quite noisey
obviously it has been done in practice and you might like it but these are my concerns

I have the 2 vol/1 tone controls on my Schecter Tempest. It's not noisier than any other humbucker guitar but I'm really annoyed at not having enough control over my sound! So it can be done without issues (noticable to the player), but I don't see why anyone would want it  :icon_jokercolor:

if u wana be real pimp

do not use volume

just wire it up full on, and use two tone pots  at 1 meg and then wire up one more 2 meg pot like a variable selector, so as u roll the pot you get a different value for the tone

really awesome for tele sounds

kboman said:
I have the 2 vol/1 tone controls on my Schecter Tempest. It's not noisier than any other humbucker guitar but I'm really annoyed at not having enough control over my sound! So it can be done without issues (noticable to the player), but I don't see why anyone would want it  :icon_jokercolor:

do they work independantly so you can mix them? or when both pup's are on does one volume cut out the whole guitar like a gibson?
wheather you get alot of noise will depend on sheilding and playing environment. maybe not an issue for all players

no the volume isnt affected at all......but the intensity of the tone will decrese, acting like a volume slightly, notice i say slightly...sometimes the intensity oif the signal is enough to go over of under ur desired tone, most of my guitars i yanked the volume out becsasue ti actualy affects the sound in a possitive way...in my opinion it opens up the bandwith of the pickup...geting more tone....

i say use 2 1MEG pots for the toneand use a single 2 meg pot for over all tone control...what i mean is wire up with a low resistance so when the pot is turn up or down u can get a whole variety of tonal shifts

just a sugestion

also u can emit the volume knowb, and just use two pots for tone.....lots ofstuff u can dol but ive experiemented alot without using volume pots and found this only enchanced the tones...removing part of the circuit, sure does a huge difference in the responce of the pickup

Back