2 humbuckers...series/parellel and phase switch

dmraco

Master Member
I am looking to wire 2 humbuckers with 2 volume, one tone, a series/parellel switch and a out of phase switch.  looking for some brian may tone.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style
Start there, and eliminate the pieces you're not using. Hardest part will be getting it all in the cavity.

dmraco said:
I am looking to wire 2 humbuckers with 2 volume, one tone, a series/parellel switch and a out of phase switch.  looking for some brian may tone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey dmraco,
Funny, I am looking for the same thing; almost!  I want coil splits and serries/parellel,  Not set on the out of phase, but would b a nice plus.  :guitaristgif:
Thing is, I cannot stand push/pull knobs, so the previously mentioned design does not work.  I would rather work with mini toggles.
:icon_scratch: :help: :icon_scratch: 

line6man said:
I'll draw you a schematic if you want it.

No 3 way switch?

line6man,
You are truly a hero member if you could draw a schematic for this wiring!!! :headbang1:
I have searched the web high & low and have not been able to come up with this combination.
I know it is doable; I just do not have enough electrical expertise to make it happen.
Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!!! :eek:ccasion14:

Wahoooooo.....
Post 100; I am now a proud full member :headbang1:
Only 3900 post to go... :icon_jokercolor:

Doh! I just drew dmraco's schematic, but reading back over the post, it looks like he wants a master series/parallel, and i drew separate series/parallel switches for each pickup.

I will redraw it along with bbl4ck's schematic tomorrow morning.
I need to get to bed for the night before i fall asleep at the computer.

3599265711_886025c156.jpg

line6man said:
Doh! I just drew dmraco's schematic, but reading back over the post, it looks like he wants a master series/parallel, and i drew separate series/parallel switches for each pickup.

I will redraw it along with bbl4ck's schematic tomorrow morning.
I need to get to bed for the night before i fall asleep at the computer.

3599265711_886025c156.jpg

Thanks line6man  :headbang1:
Greatly appreciated!  I have been studying diagrams for 2 months and have not found the correct diagram. 
Most similar diagrams use 2 volumes & 2 tone knobs [typical LP];  however, my V uses 2 volume and 1 tone.
And yes, one 3-way switch
Anxious to get it all straightened out...
Thanks for your time and have a smooth weekend!

:rock-on:

Thanks line 6.  I will be using a 3 way.  the PUs will be bare knuckles VHII with 500 pots.

You diagram looks great...I will be using toggles too...no push pull stuff.  One favor from line6...could you label what some of that stuff is?

you are right...a master series parellel and a master phase.  One other thought...I may go to a MASTER VOL and a MASTER TONE to save room.  I can use of the my 3/8 holes for a switch.  Sorry for the changes...YOU ROCK!

I think that will give me lots of choices.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

tfarny said:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style
Start there, and eliminate the pieces you're not using. Hardest part will be getting it all in the cavity.

that diagram has a major error in it... I don't know why they keep it on the site when it's well known at the sd forum.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73043- - that wiring actually works right.

tfarny said:
Oh, good eye, Gary! Sorry about posting a faulty schematic everybody.

It's not really a good eye. I tried the first one and couldn't get it to work right. Went on the forum and found that other people couldn't get it to work either. Found that other diagram and got that one to work. So... no eye involved. I couldn't really follow what it was doing, I just did what it said to do.

dmraco said:
Thanks line 6.  I will be using a 3 way.  the PUs will be bare knuckles VHII with 500 pots.

You diagram looks great...I will be using toggles too...no push pull stuff.  One favor from line6...could you label what some of that stuff is?

you are right...a master series parellel and a master phase.  One other thought...I may go to a MASTER VOL and a MASTER TONE to save room.  I can use of the my 3/8 holes for a switch.  Sorry for the changes...YOU ROCK!

I think that will give me lots of choices.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

Ok, so to clarify, you want one volume, one tone, a 3 way (Gibson style), a series/parallel, and a phase switch?
Or still two volumes?

bbl4ck said:
Funny, I am looking for the same thing; almost!  I want coil splits and serries/parellel,

Volume, Volume, Tone, Neck pickup series/single coil switch, Bridge pickup series/single coil switch, Master series/parallel switch?

I have a diagram of this that i drew for a guy with stacked humbuckers on a Jazz bass, but both pickups go split to the north coil.
I would assume that you want the neck pickup to split to the north coil, and the bridge pickup to split to the south coil.

Here is the diagram, but i can change it to split to south coils.
3575069960_f824753be4.jpg

Sorry...I think I am making you work too MUCH.  And I am so anxious I am confusing you!

2 humbuckers
One Volume
One Tone
3 way Strat style
Master Phase switch
Master Series/Parellel switch

My comments before is that I was going to only use one volume knob in the set up...not two.

dmraco said:
Sorry...I think I am making you work too MUCH.  And I am so anxious I am confusing you!

2 humbuckers
One Volume
One Tone
3 way Strat style
Master Phase switch

My comments before is that I was going to only use one volume knob in the set up...not two.

:guitarplayer2:
3601336414_960db6961b.jpg

BTW, something i don't normally include in my schematics...
You need to make sure that the chassis of the two pots are connected to each other to form a proper ground.

If you are on a metal control plate or you have good shielding, you don't need to worry about it, but if you are on an unshielded pickguard or straight to the wood of a rear routed cavity, you will want to solder a piece of wire from the back of the volume pot to the back of the tone pot.

line6man said:
dmraco said:
Sorry...I think I am making you work too MUCH.  And I am so anxious I am confusing you!

2 humbuckers
One Volume
One Tone
3 way Strat style
Master Phase switch

:guitarplayer2:
3601336414_960db6961b.jpg

thanks...I think my eyes are crossed after looking at it.  Iwill let you know how it turns out.  All I have to do is figure out the Bare Knuckle wire colors.

I assume only the neck Pickups are going directly to the phase because of the series/Parlell switch.  Not that I am questioning your work...just trying to understand.

Also...are the Phase and Series Double-Pole ON/ON or Double Pole ON/ON/ON??  I would suspect both would be ON/ON
Thanks man...you rock! :headbang1:

I will conntect the two pots too.

dmraco said:
thanks...I think my eyes are crossed after looking at it.  Iwill let you know how it turns out.  All I have to do is figure out the Bare Knuckle wire colors.

I assume only the neck Pickups are going directly to the phase because of the series/Parlell switch.  Not that I am questioning your work...just trying to understand.

Also...are the Phase and Series Double-Pole ON/ON or Double Pole ON/ON/ON??  I would suspect both would be ON/ON
Thanks man...you rock! :headbang1:

I will conntect the two pots too.

Both switches are DPDT On-On.

A phase switch works by reversing the hot and ground on a pickup.
It's basically flipping the pickup backwards when you switch it.
It only applies to one pickup, because if you inverted the phase on both pickups, they would still be in phase relative to each other.

A series/parallel works by taking the hot from one pickup and the ground from the other and switching between parallel, where they go to their normal places, and series, where they go together.

The switches go like this

1  2  3
4  5  6

On one throw, terminals 1 and 2 go together, and 4 and 5 also go together.
On the other throw, terminals 2 and 3 go together, and 5 and 6 also go together.

Picture the switch in each position and look at the way the signal flows through it. This should give you a better understanding of how the series/parallel and phase inverse wiring goes.

Back