1st Warmoth build

nibb100

maybe a bit premature,
I  have used Warmoth necks before but this the 1st total build
I have a Stratocaster ash body and birdseye maple neck winging their way to me

the Idea is to replicate this Stratocaster I built, finished in nitro see thru Heritage cherry, which sadly I was persuaded to sell by a friend

001_zpsa732ffd9.jpg

Love ash finished in any transparent color that let you see the wood grain, think you'll be able to reproduce the guitar, if you are planing to finished yourself be aware that Ash is a little bit tricky it need a good grain filler, hope to see the new guitar picks.

I'm really looking forward to it, I love the colour,
there is an idea to do a burst with it going lighter in the middle but I'm not convinced yet,
the painting will be done by Angela Arnott at http://guitarangel.co.uk/services.php in the UK
the one in the picture had cherry filler put on first and was done by her, great artist and luthier

That is one beautiful guitar.  I am not a strat guy but now you have made me want to build one.

got my delivery today 2 wonderful items, really pleased with the grain on the body, should look good under see thru cherry and the birdseye on the neck is stunning

006-2.jpg

I love nice ash grain. Reminds me of diagrams of ocean currents, or a topography map.

I have one on one of my Strats. They're expensive little rascals for what they are and do. But, if you have well-trained ears and play a lot of open chords down near the nut, there's an audible improvement. Past that, you won't notice any difference from a standard nut.

Cagey said:
I have one on one of my Strats. They're expensive little rascals for what they are and do. But, if you have well-trained ears and play a lot of open chords down near the nut, there's an audible improvement. Past that, you won't notice any difference from a standard nut.

looks like a GraphTec one then, another idea goes to the wall

I'm not sure what Ernie Ball is doing with the design now that they have control of it back, but the whole concept would have gained a lot more traction had Earvana sold the things right. Charging $40+ for a nut that clearly costs less than a buck to make and shouldn't sell for more than $7 or so even if they were gouging people was a big mistake on their part. They could have gotten a lot of OEMs to sign on to using the things as standard parts and made jillions on the volume.

The patent should never have been awarded to Earvana OR Ernie Ball in the first place, as prior art existed and the concept wasn't new at all. But, as things are EB has it so they can use it and/or license it as they wish. If I were them, I'd be licensing it by the hundred-count and laughing all the way to the bank with the free money. To hell with manufacturing the things; they cost more to ship than they do to make. Let everybody else do it. It's not a bad idea. It's just poorly implemented in the market.

I must admit they are very expensive in the UK so would have to have a distinct advantage to make worthwhile, as you say they could quite easily reduce the price and sell more,
graphite or bone are so much cheaper

hopefully with the grain on the Warmoth body the effect will be better,
there is a thought to do a burst with lighter cherry in the middle but I'm not totally convinced

Incidentally, just played a strat & tele locally with the hand rubbed finish, much more raw looking, but the setup was very impressive on it.  Not often I grab any Fender right off the rack and it plays well right then.

Back