1st Time Builder

bassface732

Hello everyone,

In a few weeks I will be receiving my first ever Warmoth guitar, and will be faced with the task of putting it together myself (something I have absolutely no experience with).  Can anyone give me any advice, or point me towards a video, article, book, etc. that can guide me through the process of assembling the guitar, electronics, hardware and all?

Specs are as follows:

The body is a Hybrid Telecaster made from black korina, featuring a Hum-Single-Hum pickup configuration.  I will be using all Seymour Duncan pickups; a JB at the bridge, Custom Stack Plus in the middle, and a Jazz at the neck.  I'd like to wire the humbuckers for coil-splitting using a push-push potentiometer.  The bridge is a Fender American Standard Flatmount.

The neck is a maple Strat neck with a compound radius Pau Ferro fingerboard.  Gotoh SG38 Tuners.  Everything is finished already, so I won't need to apply finish on my own.

Did I leave anything out?  Thanks in advance for any help with this!

I know Warmoth has a book on offer http://www.warmoth.com/Books-C213.aspx and if it were me I would probably also consult with someone local for you who competently works on guitars. I have not yet assembled my own but as I understand it you have an assembly stage that involves some skills with tools and a set up stage which is more nuanced and is important in making the guitar playable, stable, and sounding good. Some have suggested starting out with a cheap as possible copy guitar and taking that apart and getting it back together successfully then return to the Warmoth project. Just a thought.

You may also want to check out the many build threads on this forum (in the "work in progress" section). Many are very thorough and document seemingly every step of the process. I recommend you also search for threads detailing specific steps in the process, like finishing, wiring, etc. You'll find a wealth of info herein that will surely complement whatever you'll read in books. Ditto for other related forums (such as the Telecaster forum) and youtube.

FWIW I'm also assembling my first Warmoth and have used only on-line sources for info on the process, this forum in particular. I've benefited tremendously from the collective wisdom of the members and have enjoyed myself quite a bit to boot.

Good luck with your build. I'll look forward to seeing how it goes.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you can't find an answer to.

There are some build threads in my signature. The strat and Tele one may have stuff you will find useful and possibly entertaining.

Also here is a playlist of 36 videos that are in depth and useful.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL82F87E351853722B

Remember also you can do assembly yourself but if for example you find fretwork too daunting jobs like that can be farmed out.

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice!  I just put her together this last weekend and my goodness... she came out better than I could have hoped!  I'll post some pics as soon  :headbang:

Back