1st Pedal Board "Dry Fit"

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
1st "dry fit" of my home made pedal board. I used the same case from Rondo Music (CNB PDC-410H SSL Pedal Case - RondoMusic.com) that I had using velcro on the back, but I didn't feel that it was sturdy enough, so I grabbed 3 sheets of 3/8" plywood, used the center one as a perimeter and spacer block piece, now all of the power cables and audio cables will be concealed between the out 2. The open slot next to the Line 6 G30 wireless receiver is for a second one on a different channel. Now, when I switch guitars live, I de-select A, then select B. I'll have a cable plugged into C as a backup.  When all lights on the ABC are off, system is "Muted" before hitting any other audio.  I still have room for another pedal to the right of the FB-2 should I ever decide to add one, ie; Cantrell or Petrucci Wah.

I show up to church/gig/rehearsal/session, remove the lid, plug in the power, plug in a mic cable to the D.I. and I'm up and running.
I have a True Tone (Formerly Visual Sound) One Spot 5 cable plug which plugs into the G30's, the Boss FB-2 Feedback Pedal, HD500X, and the Morley ABC switch.  The 5 cable is powered from the HD500X power supply.

The entire pedalboard will be powered by one single power supply or "Wall Wart" as they are more affectionately referred. No more multiple "wall warts" on the pedal board.

As far as mounting goes, I simply purchased some brackets as you see below, removed the screws from the outermost 4 corners of each pedal, placed the bracket between the screw head and the bottom of the pedal like a washer, then re applied the screw.  I got the idea from these guys (http://www.pedalboardsupplies.com/home.html) The Morley pedal has a different type of bottom plate, and the screws for it mount from the side, so I discreetly drilled holes through the bottom place right through the rubber feet, then screwed it down to the pedal board, then re-applied the Morley chassis, and secured it to the bottom plate.

I still have some side sanding to do to smooth out the transition from top/bottom, then I'll paint it black on the top, and on the inside of the rear cover so you don't see bright colored backing in the holes.  I'm also going to use some glow in the dark spray paint on the outer perimeter which is why I have about 1 inch of reveal left.  I did a 3/8" roundover on the top edges so they would stay smooth, otherwise, it'll just get crunched off with the shoe anyways.

It's no Sustainiac, but it works "ok".  For me, it's just a bit of a workaround since I don't have the $$ for a Sustainiac, and since my TFS6 has a slanted neck pickup, it wouldn't be compatible anyway.
Northwest Guitars in Bellevue, Wa is working with EMG on making a Hard Driver feedback pickup driver, but it is a driver only, you don't get to use it as a neck pickup when bypassed.  With the Sustainiac and the Fernandes Sustainer, you still have a functional neck pickup when the sustain function is bypassed.

The Feedback pedal is a nice boost pedal, and when you hold it for feedback, it transitions into a squeeze mode which sounds a bit like a Wah half cocked.  It's not an infinite sustain like the 2 systems mentioned above, but it does extend notes into a harmonic feedback to a degree, which is what I'm using it for.

I'll try to get some clips posted in coming weeks, won't have a chance to before then.

I have the Sustainiac Stealth or whatever on my Warmoth strat (2005-6). I eliminates the use of the neck pickup.
Takes some getting used to since the feedback is happens when it wants to and some notes feedback with greater ease than others. I guess that's true with amp feedback.

Anyways, its cool, I like it, but its not quite that sound that Trey Anastasio or even Michael Kang(?) of String Cheese Incident, and certainly Jimmy Herring get with their tone (wet sound) where the signal seems like its on the edge of feedback all of the time. He/they just sustains a note for a second, turns up the volume a hair and gets that other worldly howl/whine, which is more along the lines of what I'm shooting for. Another thing is that you gotta be tight with the string muting. Left or right hand, whichever is needed at the time, this thing wants to feedback all the strings, all of the time, so any kind of tricky chord work or even faster runs need extra TLC with this batboy on.

It does get that "amp taking off" sound, which is a new term I stumbled upon recently that I'll share with you, just not quite so fluid or seamless, which is again more of what I'm looking for.

That's interesting, because I've tried some Sustainiac equipped guitars and when the driver is bypassed, it does act as a neck pickup, in fact, on their site, you can even set the voicing to be either like a single coil or like a humbucker.

Back