1 extraordinary guitar, or 2 'cool' guitars?

Orpheo

I'm thinking about my new projects... these are the options.

1: 2 at the same time (cherryburst+padouk/ebony neck and tobaccoburst+wenge/ebony neck) but without the clearcoat binding and no block inlay (showcase necks and bodies)

2: braz. rosewood neck+fingerboard, singlepiece maple top and singlepiece mahogany back.

both options are equally expensive, but which one would you guys do? a binding is doable on those non-binding showcase bodies (just scrape it off, I did it before!), and I already have a braz. neck... but: what would your choices be.

I'm in the same situation. I could either do an ultra-bad-ass Les Paul or a Soloist & Strat at the same time that I've also been thinking about.

I say build 'em all. If they're really going to be custom guitars then there can't ever be any compromise. Naturally it'll take time cash-wise to get them all done, but you'll be glad when they're finally done. I know I will. So I'm going to do the Les Paul first. And while that one's going I'll be saving up for the Soloist & Strat.

Good luck with the builds.

:rock-on:

Ιt's easy to get addicted watching the showcase. I try to remind myself I don't really need so many guitars every time I'm ready to hit the "add to cart" button. Still, not everytime I succeed...

I have a few bodies here, the necks are always the difficult part as I don't find what I want in the showcase and I have to custom order them. For the next five years I'm covered with these bodies. I believe that every guitar should be done the best way I can at the time, so I can't afford making two guitars at the time. I think it's the "right" thing to do also. Have a new guitar at least for a year, play, learn and enjoy the instrument. Then, everything I learned will go on to the next project.

Going custom means for me I have to love the feel, look and sound of the instrument. No compromises.

I think I tend to agree with Kostas
Kostas said:
Going custom means for me I have to love the feel, look and sound of the instrument. No compromises.

Build something that you are totally blown away with from the word go.  You might find that you build "The One" and you never need to look at another guitar again.  Then again with the quality of work coming out of the Warmoth factory at the moment, there are plenty of "The One's" waiting to be put together.

If it was me I would do the one really cool one. Especially because you want Brazilian rosewood - I would say get that while you still can.

I prefer one superguitar than two more "ordinary" guitars. But that's me, and looking at your collection it strongly looks like you love quantity (not that there's no quality in your stuff though...  :))

But euhm... Brazilian Rosewood is not shipped outside the US anymore...
(But you could have some help over there off course)

I think i've made up my mind. it will be the first option: 2 great guitars. having those dots as inlay gives me a cool thing: later on, I can have them as a round center in my abalone block (if the dot is MoP and vice versa!). I dont need binding, just good woods and nice looks (and 3 humbuckers).

and I already HAVE braz. rosewood as a neckback.

And you have the Koa LP and the Gold Sparkle LP... In deed, I would go for somethin not much screaming... (or all your guitars you be screaming  :blob7:)

NonsenseTele said:
And you have the Koa LP and the Gold Sparkle LP... In deed, I would go for somethin not much screaming... (or all your guitars you be screaming  :blob7:)

it will be screamin' and modest at the same time :) I will make the order, end of the week.

Back