“Flamed” top Strat body

Gkelm

So I’ve wanted to do a charvel pro mod type build, and a while back picked up a nice used lightly figured USACG neck with a lock nut route, and planned to order a Warmoth body.

Wanted alder with a flamed top...and most comments I’ve seen indicate that the standard flames maple caps are generally pretty good.

I did notice when I ordered a big upcharge option for a select top that I didn’t see previously...but since I’d heard standard tops were nice, I went with that.

I wasn’t expecting eye popping flame, but at least something that could be recognized as having some figuring. This looks like a plain top, with perhaps a hair of figuring. Pretty disappointed at first.

Otherwise the weight is nice and light, and the alder looks great. It’s a shame.

Was going to return it, but having to pay shipping both ways is a stumbling block. I can make out some flame, so going to see if the oil makes it pop a bit. Or I can paint it black.  :laughing3:

c6fPedK

"pretty good" is all relative.
Once you get used to looking or owning the higher tiers of PRS guitars I can assure you most of the stuff you see, including the unique choice top section, can often look rather underwhelming :laughing11:

Do you have pics of your top, it's really hard to gauge figuring sometimes without wetting it first (not with water, please) ?

I’ve tried for hours to get a pic to post...never have a problem on any other forum.

Where or how are you trying to post a photo from?

Perhaps I can suggest something if you can post a link etc.

Thanks stratamania...converted to png, jpg, etc, resized and tried the site upload...it looked like it iploaded but didn’t post. Also tried the

Attachments

• 04694453-EAAA-4ADC-8460-B5BB7EE0030E.png
    04694453-EAAA-4ADC-8460-B5BB7EE0030E.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 665
Ha! It worked! Must have been some forum mojo. Well, back to the body. There is some flame at different angles...might start the tru-oil process this evening, and will follow up.

DrSeb said:
it's really hard to gauge figuring sometimes without wetting it first (not with water, please) ?

@Seb, suggestions on what to use for this? I can't use oil before starting finish work because some of my coloring options must precede the first oil application. I have a quilted top body on order, since it's a buyer-choice piece of wood, I have a decent idea, still it would be nice to see the pop in detail before commencing work.

Sadie-f...I hear naptha (not lighter fluid)...but would be happy to hear other options

Here is the attachment inline with the img tags. Odd the imgur link does not seem to show up...

index.php

Although here it is on imgur. Right click the image to get the image link which is different to the share link.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/9khMaBU.jpeg

9khMaBU.jpeg

Gkelm said:
Sadie-f...I hear naptha (not lighter fluid)...but would be happy to hear other options

I think it would work, most things called naphtha leave very slow evaporating residues I'd rather avoid.

I tend to use denatured alcohol since that's generally what I end up mixing dyes with anyways.

DrSeb said:
I tend to use denatured alcohol since that's generally what I end up mixing dyes with anyways.

Awesome, that's the direction I was thinking, also convenient in that I use a lot of ultra pure alcohol in my lab for cleaning apparatus, the leftovers are still far more pure than anything I can buy for drinking :).

rick2 said:
Never had a problem with naphtha leaving a residue.

I agree it's not much, I'm given to thinking like a chemist, and almost all petroleum distillates contain a pretty broad range of fractions. Naphtha is essentially very low octane gasoline, usually contains about 3% benzene, which I prefer to avoid, also usually paraffins, which definitely don't evaporate, like gasoline, the higher boiling point fractions (BP > 140C). Things that boil that high take a long time to evaporate.

I just received a telecaster body with the same garbage cut. Sending it back .

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 170
Didn’t I see this some place else?  Just curious have you ever finished a guitar before?

jkhv said:

It's a very fine looking body, as mentioned on the thread you created.
You got what you paid for by going the standard flame maple option; if you wanted more you should have spent the extra $100-$200 for the higher figured unique choice tops.

DrSeb said:
jkhv said:

It's a very fine looking body, as mentioned on the thread you created.
You got what you paid for by going the standard flame maple option; if you wanted more you should have spent the extra $100-$200 for the higher figured unique choice tops.

Unique choices I got were minimum $195. That’s a 66% up charge beyond the body. Pretty stout in the minds of some.

Back