Z Body Questions

threadedtime

Does anybody have a Z Body?  I am wondering how comfortable it is?  Is it a smaller body guitar?  Is it well balanced.  Every time I try to design a body I think I would like and be comfortable it ends up looking similiar to a Z.

I don't  have a Z but it is kind of funny that whenever I draw something it just looks like something that already exists. Guess that's why I'm not an inventor... :doh:

JCizzle said:
I don't  have a Z but it is kind of funny that whenever I draw something it just looks like something that already exists. Guess that's why I'm not an inventor... :doh:

I'm that way with music. I've never written a song because every time I try to it comes out sounding like something that's already out there.

To the OP - if everything you draw looks like a Z, that should tell you something. Like, buy a Z <grin>

What's the worst thing that could happen? If you don't like it, somebody will, and you get to build another guitar. Can't lose.

Cagey said:
JCizzle said:

I'm that way with music. I've never written a song because every time I try to it comes out sounding like something that's already out there.

To the OP - if everything you draw looks like a Z, that should tell you something. Like, buy a Z <grin>

What's the worst thing that could happen? If you don't like it, somebody will, and you get to build another guitar. Can't lose.

When you write a song, do you think, "Ah, crap, it sounds just like Eric Johnson"?  :party07: :guitarplayer2: :guitaristgif:

No, because I don't even try any more and when I was trying, it was before EJ's time. I'm afraid that when it comes to guitar, I'm at best a gifted mimic.

Cagey said:
No, because I don't even try any more and when I was trying, it was before EJ's time. I'm afraid that when it comes to guitar, I'm at best a gifted mimic.

You and me both. When I "played for a living," and I use that loosely because I didn't make much money, I played in orchestras for theater, and I would just take sheet music and learn it note for note. No thinking involved.

Hijack, sorry.

Totally comfortable to stand up with, lot's of easy access, very ergonomic.

To sit down, the bottom side arc of the lower cutaway cuts into your thigh a bit.

Cagey said:

True for me as well.  Fact is, I never considered myself to be very talented at guitar at all.  For what I can do, it's all been determination and perseverance.  But it's like my golf...you can't get upset about it...you play for the enjoyment.  Oh, and I don't want to down play the work that a "talented" guitarist puts in, it's just that I think no matter how hard I work at it, I ain't gonna get to EJ's level.

And speaking of writing song's that sound like some other tune, I've always love this story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_(song)

You think Chris Farlowe was kicking himself later?

Johnny said:
Cagey said:

True for me as well.  Fact is, I never considered myself to be very talented at guitar at all.  For what I can do, it's all been determination and perseverance.  But it's like my golf...you can't get upset about it...you play for the enjoyment.  Oh, and I don't want to down play the work that a "talented" guitarist puts in, it's just that I think no matter how hard I work at it, I ain't gonna get to EJ's level.

And speaking of writing song's that sound like some other tune, I've always love this story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_(song)

You think Chris Farlowe was kicking himself later?

I might be able to reach the ability to play EJ's songs, but to be able to write music like that? I'm not quitting my day job.

threadedtime said:
Thanks Johnny...I think I'll go for it.

Hmmm.  I assume that was sarcasm for highjacking your thread since I was totally off topic and did nothing to answer your question.  I apologize for that.

Back on topic, I don't have a Z body so I've no idea how comfortable they are, but I do like their look!

I find mine very comfortable and great to play, i mean i am talking from a five string bass with swamp ash body, and a wenge/bloodwood neck, but there is no neck dive and once i got used to the lower horn and the right position for it, i find it my easiest and nicest to play one out of my basses.

If the designs you come up with look like the z body, then go for the z body, your mind is telling you yes  :evil4:

Back