Your home recording gear?

tfcreative said:
I use the ReDrum sequencer in Reason for drums all the time. I'm not familiar with v1, so I don't know if it's in there, but with the automation scripts to change in between different loops, you can make pretty convincing drum tracks.

Yes has ReDrum.

V1 has:
Hardware Interface
Mixer
Subtractor Analog Synth
NN19 Digital Sampler
Dr. Rex Loop Player
Re Drum
Matrix Pattern Sequencer device.
Also has  10 effects units
and a ReBirth Input machine device.

Darn good package, just need time to get a better understanding of it all. Sound quality is very good, I know this is used on professional recordings all the time. I got told about this software as a son of a friend was using it to record for synth, sampled and drum sounds for his first album.

This is a simple one. Vocals, instruments etc -> usb mic -> Audacity on pc.

On another note tfarny-- I sorta think it would be cool to have all that ambient noise in the background of recordings! Though I am partial to that casual kind of recording.

I use:

Windows XP with M-Audio 1010L card
Sonar 6 Producer
Izotope Ozone 3 mastering software
Behringer board
Event PS8 powered Monitors
Apex 460 tube mic & Focusrite Trakmaster Pro

Pretty simple system all in all but everything I could want is in there except maybe that Waves Bundle. Never tried it though the name keeps coming up over and over spiking my curiousity.

I've used Acid 6 Pro for drum loops and and BFD samples triggered by midi for drums. Drums have always been my sticking point and I have been experimenting with all kinds of ways to speed up the process but produce something of quality. You can hear samples of my experimenting at www.specialcustomsongs.com .

Dell Dimension 8200, stock sound card, Midisport 2x2 sync'd up to a Boss BR1180CD (that is soon to be swapped out for a Line6 KB37).
I use Cubase for sequencing, and Acid for recording, but I'm in the midst of transferring everything from the BR1180CD, Cubase, and Acid over to Sonor 6 Producer (it seems this is the Warmoth Employee recording software).  I have my Alesis QS7 midi'd up to it, and my Pod XT Live goes direct via USB.

dudesweet157 said:
Another super simple setup.  I use my Boss BR-600 to record, add effects, mix and master my recordings.  When I mix/master, I line out from the BR-600 to my PA set totally flat.  When I want to record drums I mic the set through the mixer, set EQ and mix, then use the recording out to the BR-600, otherwise, I just use the two tracks on the actual box.  For mics, I use the onboard condensers for vocals, '58's for most everything else, and I borrow a few condensers from school for overheads.  Fancy it ain't, but it works for the modest recordings that I do.

I also have a BR-600.  I don't really know anything about recording/mixing/mastering... I generally just play direct into it if I want some effects, or set it in front of my amp and use the built-in condenser.  However I am moving into a house and I want to set up a studio.  I am just planning to get a bunch of SM-57s and a used mixer, which I'll run into the BR600.

Do you guys ever record a whole band at once?  Mic'd drums, guitars, bass, and vocals all running into a mixer?  It seems like this would make mastering impossible, but it also seems like it would be the most fun way to record.

Those that have the Boss BR recording/mixer/CD units:

Is there any problems in getting the sounds out of the BR unit into the PC, working with the sounds on say Cubase/Cakewalk type software, and then returning the edited sound back into a track on the BR unit?

I can remember when I was looking at using PC software etc. I looked at one such unit (might have been a Fostex brand or some other one other than Boss?) and a closer look at the way the recording unit worked meant that the recorded tracks were encoded in a proprietary format and weren't recognised by external software. The end CD was .wav file, so it could be played on any CD, but to get there you had to work totally within the recording unit.

dbw said:
[
Do you guys ever record a whole band at once?  Mic'd drums, guitars, bass, and vocals all running into a mixer?  It seems like this would make mastering impossible, but it also seems like it would be the most fun way to record.

I have done this, though not with those instruments. Done vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, banjo (shut up)

Mixing is still possible as long as you are careful with positioning and levels as you record, but you don't get as much control. Honestly I much prefer to record this way. My recordings turn out so much better when I can interact (and/or laugh) with my mates while we record.

OzziePete said:
Those that have the Boss BR recording/mixer/CD units:

Is there any problems in getting the sounds out of the BR unit into the PC, working with the sounds on say Cubase/Cakewalk type software, and then returning the edited sound back into a track on the BR unit?

I can remember when I was looking at using PC software etc. I looked at one such unit (might have been a Fostex brand or some other one other than Boss?) and a closer look at the way the recording unit worked meant that the recorded tracks were encoded in a proprietary format and weren't recognised by external software. The end CD was .wav file, so it could be played on any CD, but to get there you had to work totally within the recording unit.

Ozzie, I can only speak to the BR600... it uses a USB cable to connect to the computer.  It's stored on the car d in a proprietary format but you can export it to wav.  There are two ways to export your music, one is to export it using the BR600, which requires a lot of extra space on the card.  The other is to download this free conversion thing that Boss released that lets you convert on your PC, which means you fill the card and still export.

nathan a said:
dbw said:
[

I have done this, though not with those instruments. Done vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, banjo (shut up)

Mixing is still possible as long as you are careful with positioning and levels as you record, but you don't get as much control. Honestly I much prefer to record this way. My recordings turn out so much better when I can interact (and/or laugh) with my mates while we record.

Cool, because my BR600 can only record 2 tracks simultaneously.  Eventually I might get into something with some more kick, like one of those Tascams with 8 inputs.

Peavy Mic that wishes it were a SM57 (pretty lame, from what I can tell) / MXL 990 / MXL 991 into a Toneport, sometimes with an M-Audio AudioBuddy through Reaper.

On the way: Sonor 7 XL, ART Tube MP

I noticed a few others use Reaper... even though it's technically free, it's a really kick-ass program with plenty of features and full VST & DX fx support.

I find myself using it more than my Audition 3 or Nuendo 2.

Dell Inspiron laptop, Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, high speed 120 Gb internal, 320 Gb Firewire external
DigiDesign Mbox2 Pro
TASCAM USB-122
Behringer EURORACK UB1222FX-PRO Mixer
Rocktron Xpression stereo multi-effect unit
Pro-Tools LE
Sonar Studio 8
FruityLoops FL Studio 6
Band-In-A-Box 2007
Lots of other misc. software
Triton Le keyboard
Shure and AKG mikes
Nady bi-amped near field reference monitors

I use XP with Tracktion2 (it's up to Tracktion3 now with loads of software synths included) DAW. It's cheap, much more intuitive than Cubase et al (IMHO) and works fine if you make sure your sound and graphic drivers are up to date.
Behringer V-Amp Pro
Creative soundcard with a breakout box on my desk with vol/input knobs and sockets
Oxygen8 Midi keyboard
loads of soft synths
Sennheiser headphones / Creative speakers
some recordings on my music site http://www.foxdenmusic.com

Pretty cheap and simple really:
Bass Pod xt
Alesis M1 Active 320 USB monitors
Reaper
A Yamaha Pocketrak 2G that I got for recording scratch vocals and maybe some acuistic.
I'm about to get a Line 6 GX for recording guitar riffs.
Not exactly a pro recording studio but it works for me.

Back