Your Favorite Strings?

scartozi

We see an awfull lot of guitars on this website and wanted to know what strings you guys prefer? I myself play in a lot of alternate (dropped)tunings so I play .10-52's....commonly refered to as slinky top heavy bottom. I was playing the Fender Super Bullets and really liked them but thought I would try out the Ernie Ball Titanium coated strings. Took a few days (I think) for them to open up and so far they aren't to bad, the low E isn't quite as low as I would expect from a .52. I should have looked a little more cause Fender makes the Super Bullets in .10-52 also. Back when I played acoustic guitars only, strings were the cheapest way of changing the tone and I've tried A LOT of different strings. I really like the Super Bullets and think I'll give the 10-52's a try next time, along with some others that you guys like. I like the fact that the coated strings make finger squeal a lot less noticable but I do feel there is some sacrifice in tone albeit minimal.

Anyone have any favorites? Coated or uncoated?

Aren't there several string threads already?

I tried Slinkies once (And I was actually just thinking about this last night.) and they were the absolute worst strings I've ever tried. They went rusty in a week. :tard:

I use Fender Bullets (.10-.46) on my Strat, and D'Addario EXL170s (.45-.100) on my basses, though I've been meaning to pick up something with a heavier gauge E.

I gotta agree on the slinky Rust, I ONLY played with slinky's in my youth... on My BC

Didn't know any better.

11-48 Power Slinkeys. Like 'em better than anything else.

HATE D'adario, HATE GHS.

Acoustic, I'm using D'adario medium lights and light 12 string. I wanna switch to Ernie Ball earthwoods because they've sounded better than everything else. They've got some other metal in the alloy that makes 'em sound different so there's a legitimate reason.

This feels like Deja Vu.

For Electric:  Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys -- 009-046. No other string matters. Heavier if down-tuning.

For Acoustic:  D'addario 80/20 Bronze, 010-047.  Those Elixirs sound good, but I hate how the coating eventually starts peeling off.

GHS Boomers, 10-52 or 11-54 if I'm feelin' it. When I use the 11's it's usually tuned a half step low. Big strings sound great and are worth working up to.

I've tried a lot of strings but these seem to have the best balance and projection to me.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Oh wait wrong thread

D'Addario XL140, XL150

I'm with TT, GHS 10-52, I switched from D'aderio, I didn't really expect to hear much diferance, but it's surprisingly better

12 guage...like mah shotgun...lol
I use D'Addario EXL145 (12's with a plain 3rd) on all my electrics (Strat, Tele and Blackbird).
I prefer to use GHS Boomers in 12's, (also with a plain 3rd),
but they're getting harder and harder to find for some reason.
On my acoustics, I almost always use D"Addario Phospher Bronze in 12's, but Martin 12's do the job in a pinch.
Cheers

Acoustic:anybody ever try John Pearse PB acoustic strings? I tried a lot of strings and those made my Taylor GS-8 sing....they are amazing and the price is great too. I played Elixer's for a while but they are just to expensive and when I switched to the John Pearse they are half the price....think I use to order them from Shoreline Music, free shipping and great price.

Electric: I've never tried the D'Addario's or GHS....may have to give them a shot. I played acoustic Addario's for a while. I tried the Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy bottom uncoated and didn't like them as much as the Fender SB's. Since I'm playing electric now I'm searching for "my brand".

Alfang & TT The GSH Boomers 10-52.....are they a plain or coated string, not that it matters just need to know which ones to try. String life? A good balanced tone is what I'm looking for.

I use Elixir nanoweb Super Light 0.09-0.42, thinking about changing to Custom Light 0.09-0.48 next.
I play in Eb, and definitely do not like DR Black Beauties.

The GHS are not coated as far as I know. I used to live in Florida which had high humidity and they seemed to last just fine. The ones we use are the "Boomers". They come in a sealed foil package, black and red mostly. The 10-52 are called "GBTNT", a regular 10 set 10-46 is called "light" or "GBL".

I use D'Addario on everything.  A great consistent string.  GHS are very good as well, and Ernie Ball a great third place.

Haven't had much luck with other brands.

Thanks for the info TT....they're on my list. :icon_thumright:
GHS Boomers 10-52
Fender SB 10-52
D'Addario 10-52?....I would imagine they have them

Any others?

Maybe I am old school
I started in the 60s playing EB super slinkys because my brother was, I could steal strings from him, and I was playing nylon on my classical
I used them till I found Dean Markleys nickle steels and I went up to 10s, somehow in the next 2 decades I ended up with 11s and started playing Boomers, then they came out with the Blue Steels and I really liked them but in the 10s, About then I bought my first steel string acoustic and loaded it up with tens, D'addario flat top phosphors, I will tell you this, those are great strings. I highly recommend those things. Just a great string that can take the banging around of getting drunk at the campfire and being abused as you pass the axe around. But not only that, but they sound great and last a long time. I really like them.
Now back to the electric, I went back to 9s after all the Hair metal days as I no longer had those tremellos that were hell on strings, Man I really am glad the entire Floyd Rose thing settled down and it is a choice and not a must have.
So, I have 2 axes with regular trem bridges and 2 with hard tails, So 9s last me fine, get great action and keep my fingers in shape, but I am back to Dean Markley Nickle Steels, I just like the tone they give. I do not know. I am not into soaking distortion anymore, I like distortion as much as the next guy but want my tone up front with the distortion reaching around the edges and never doing a full envelope. And I have never played a string as I like as much as the DM NS.
OK that is my long drawn out explanation, 
I know I am told I do that to much, but that is why I like them, next year I may be spouting off about some other brand and gauge.

I use Elixir 10 - 52. Best sounding strings on the market! I highly recommend them! They don't rust and last way longer than other brands. Check em' out!

Back