Your best hand truck/Dolly suggestions pls

DustyCat

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong category but I figured that hand trucks help ease the pain of lugging around heavy amps..

...and with this 20% off coupon I got recently, I'm throwing in the towel: a hand truck would help me greatly.

I could be lugging any and all of the following:

A couple guitars
A combo amp or two
Couple bags
Pedal board
Music stand
Microphone stand
Hand drum and or trumpet

I like the idea of hauling everything in one trip cutting down on unattended equipment.

I also like the idea of multi positions including hand truck and cart convertibility.

I also like the idea of durability "no break wheels"

I also like the idea of compact storage (of the cart)

The problem is that the reviews I've read vary quite a bit from "built like a tank" to "flimsy and poorly constructed" and problematic unless you are "4 1/2 ft tall" (short hand truck).

Also I definitely need it to convert to a wagon, but I also need it to be able to fit in the leg space of the back seat or in the front passenger seat (trunk space is tight).

So what is everybody using? What are the winners? Can it be towed on grass/dirt? Do I need the "all terrain model" for 229?  :doh:

I need to pounce on this discount before May 4th pls

Thanks in advance!

You know what?  I ended up ditching the hand-truck thing.  Mostly because even folded down they took up too much space in the truck!  The other reason is we usually play a venue with stairs.  I actually can't think of a place we play that does not have stairs...

I travel fairly light, even though I also haul the PA.  I just get a bandmate or two to help, and it's over pretty fast.  In extreme cases, I've used my bicycle for the hand-truck.  Or this that ride-truck?

index.php

These are pretty nice
https://www.americanmusical.com/rock-n-roller-rsd6-solid-deck-for-r6rt-multi-equipment-cart/p/RRO-RSD6?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&adpos=&scid=scplpRRO+RSD6&sc_intid=RRO+RSD6&gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2irpGpZGAk4UUb8qrJf33f2LaZgob9sUBX-UNz4jbAAw8a5LcsQxiRoC8GAQAvD_BwE

+1 on Rock n Roller carts. I’ve had two over the years. The first one didn’t break, but rather the person I loaned it to used it to assist with their move, and then just…..moved, out of state. I could have contacted them to try to retrieve my cart, but the thing is, they were kinda crazy, so rather than subject myself to their crazy, I left it alone and bought another Rock n Roller cart. They’re great.

My teenage son back 15 years ago, he was my "roadie", er "guitar tech" er "Equipment Valet", yeah, that's it.
Told him is was "urban chores", much different than the ones we had in my small farm town growing up.

rick2 said:
To save your back get something.... What did you get?

I went with the Rock N Roller R2RT Micro.

Surprise surprise there were were an overwhelming number of positive reviews over at Sweetwaters website, but it was cheaper at MF even before the 20% discount.

I'm taking a chance it might be too small but maybe I can cut the fat and I gotta have H cart capabilities.

It should arrive in a couple of days.

The cart arrived and I was able to put assemble the wheels in about 10 -15 minutes.

Not being the most mechanically minded guy, I would have appreciated 2 simple words on the instructions that could have saved me 5 minutes (the minutia right? Lol)

"Bend pins" is that too much to ask?

The wheel slides over the axel, the washer goes over the axel flush to the wheel hub and the cotter pin slides in. Bend pin for tight fit.

It's also interesting that the cable is literally bending the metal bars so that they fit inside of the metal inhibitors (tabs). You are literally bending the bars to fit inside of the space.

Other than it being a tad short (1 more inch higher handle would have been welcomed) and an actual handle for hand card/truck "L" mode I am happy with the investment.  :icon_thumright:

Perhaps a thin metal sheet would help fill in the gap/hole and allow me to turn my amp sideways in "H" mode.

If anyone knows where/How to obtain something like this I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Back